What's new

RT-AC88U can't Remote Desktop LAN server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jrmathis

New Around Here
My new AC88U is slow to allow shares on client via wireless, and none of my WINDOWS 10 laptops can now RDC into my Home Server. This worked fine without issue on previous RT-AC87U, and RT-AC66U_B1 without special setup. The home server is attached to my old AC66U_B1 as a MEDIA BRIDGE in a different room, but again, no issues with the AC87U as the wireless router before it's WAN died....If I revert back to a very old N66U, all is well. Convinced it is a setting in the 88U, or a problem with the device. Applied newest firmware, and downgraded to previous, to no avail. Have not tried Merlin firmware yet....

Make sure you didn't enable AP Isolation mode, as this prevents wifi clients from talking to one another.

AP isolation off....it appears that if I leave it alone for ??several hours, it updates something (?internal DNS/address table for LAN) very slowly. Then, if I reboot/reconnect each of the clients, including my WHS server and my wireless printers, they are all recognized, and I have my RDC access to WHS restored. Seems very slow however....I also note that it assigns the same IP address to each client over and over, without my using the manual IP settings in the DHCP section (which I usually do so I have easy access to clients, at least the printers and servers/NAS....). I had avoided setting manual IP thinking the router needed to update it's table for addresses, and maybe that helped...I've gone around and set static IPs in the clients I want to have consistent access to, more time consuming than messing with the router, but I wanted to avoid messing with the router, for now.

Update, rolled firmware forward to latest stock firmware. Broke client sharing. Installed Merlin firmware, all is normal. Immediately better. I believe the stock ASUS firmware is the issue. Sort of worked with next to most recent, but stopped with most recent...Maybe there was a setting attached to the MESH functionality that I missed, but basically, I think the stock firmware is buggy....Thanks MERLIN!!!

FYI for anyone else having this issue. ASUS support still promising to get back to me....'I am writing to update you about your case. Our product engineers are still
working on a permanent resolution for them to be able to rectify the concern
as soon as possible. I have personally requested for this case to be brought
up to speed so we can have this concern resolved and closed the soonest.'

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!