What's new

RT-AC88U Extremely low 5GHZ signal even at 1m distance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MARCOS MOURA

New Around Here
Hello Guys,
Recently I just upgraded my network card so I can connect to my routers 5Ghz Wifi and found it that it is at the moment being, useless.

While standing 1m away from the router with nothing in between, objects or whatsoever I only can get -82dB signal. as soon as I move 2m away I almost lose the connection and at 3m the wifi connection is gone.

I thought at first maybe the problem was with my network card but the same happens with my cellphone and my smart TV.

The same problem comes up for the stock firmware 3.0.0.4.384_81116 and also for the asuswrt merlin 384.15. I performed a factory reset for both firmwares and tried connecting to the 5ghz wifi and got the same result.
I even disabled some advanced options as I found some people advicing on the forum but nothing is currently working.

I will leave here some pictures of my 5Ghz settings and a picture of the Channel Scan.

SSID Locals is my 2.4Ghz network and Marcos_5G is my 5Ghz network. The picture bellow was taken while I am right in front of my Router 1meter distance. It is just sitting under my Tv.

KXomM9E.png

JG9NxLc.png

This worked for me, can you please explain why?
Different channels have different output levels, it also varies by country. Additionally some channels may be impacted by radio interference and that is not visible by just looking at a WiFi channel scan. That said, the OP's signal strength did look exceptionally low.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!