What's new

RT-AC88U issue after upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RKL

Occasional Visitor
today i have update firmware of my RT-AC88U router to latest Version 3.0.0.4.385.20457. Process went ok, but after reboot im no longer able to access router via www on Ethernet or either via wifi and app. Before upgrade both methods were working fine. Rebooted multiple times without any luck
Anyone came across such behavior and any idea how to fix it, before i will try factory reset?

today i have update firmware of my RT-AC88U router to latest Version 3.0.0.4.385.20457. Process went ok, but after reboot im no longer able to access router via www on Ethernet or either via wifi and app. Before upgrade both methods were working fine. Rebooted multiple times without any luck
Anyone came across such behavior and any idea how to fix it, before i will try factory reset?

After you factory default reset, login and do another using the webUI reset w/Initialize; then re-configure from scratch.

OE

That's what I'm planning to do. Router works, same as internet, only problem is I can't get to GUI :(

Use either the reset button or the WPS button method to reset the router without needing to go into the GUI. :)

router is after reset. Was able to access GUI, did all config. But as soon i switched to use SSL, problem is back :(

@RKL is your browser cache the issue? Try flushing it. Do you have a password manager trying to use an old password? Does using a different browser help?

Are you using a password longer than 16 alphanumeric characters? Does it contain any special characters, spaces, punctuation or smiley faces?

I have also experienced the exact same problem. I have https access configured on my RT-AC88U, and as soon as I upgraded the firmware to 3.0.0.4.385.20457, I was no longer able to reach the router login screen. Instead, there is an error message about being unable to securely connect to it. The router continues to operate normally, but I will need to use the rescue mode to change the firmware.
Reverting to the previous version is not possible without resetting the router to factory defaults, according to the notes for this release. Very unfortunate, since I don't wish to waste time reconfiguring all of the settings, and I am unable to download the existing ones since I cannot reach the router to do so.
Asus would be wise to step up and provide an update to fix this apparent bug. I contacted Asus support and opened a case detailing this issue.

And now firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20457 has been removed from the Asus support site downloads. But no new firmware yet for those of us who are stuck with this dud version after having installed it, other than to factory reset and downgrade.

router is after reset. Was able to access GUI, did all config. But as soon i switched to use SSL, problem is back :(

Are you enabling web access and HTTPS to secure it?

OE

Are you enabling web access and HTTPS to secure it?

OE
Yes.

After restoring to factory reset i stayed on 3.0.0.4.385.20457, today i needed to log back to router to configure one address to use static ip address and agin its same :(
Again reset to factory and it was accessible. Using GUI uploaded 384 firmware, rebooted and restored my old setting from file.
For a while im not planing to do firmware upgrades once available...

Yes.

After restoring to factory reset i stayed on 3.0.0.4.385.20457, today i needed to log back to router to configure one address to use static ip address and agin its same :(
Again reset to factory and it was accessible. Using GUI uploaded 384 firmware, rebooted and restored my old setting from file.
For a while im not planing to do firmware upgrades once available...

I believe conventional wisdom is to not trust web access to be secure. So, don't enable it and don't use it, so HTTPS is then not required.

OE

I had the exact same issue. Downgrade to an older firmware didnt help, restoring previous back up helped, but only temporarily - took it as a chance to migrate to Merlin and works good so far. In particular with my Yamaha Musiccast speakers

Asus has now released an update to replace the buggy firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20457 for the RT-AC88U.

The new version is 3.0.0.4.385.20490

I had to first factory reset my RT-AC88U (since I could not login any longer), go through a few setup screens, and then I logged in and performed a manual firmware update by uploading the file from the Administration page, Firmware Upgrade tab of the GUI. The login access now works normally again with http and with https.

Here are the release notes from Asus (note "fixed firmware upgrade bugs"):

Version 3.0.0.4.385.20490 2020/04/28 38.16 MBytesASUS RT-AC88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20490
- Improved connection stability.
- Optimized CPU utilization.
- Fixed firmware upgrade bugs.
- Support router certificate export. After import the certificate to the computer you will not see the warning message when login with https. Please refer to https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1034294/

[Important notice] If your router firmware is 3.0.0.4.385.20490(or newer version) and want to downgrade to 3.0.0.4.384.81116 (or previous version), you need to reset the router after firmware changed.

I get this issue on the latest firmware with the GT-AX11000 where the web GUI just stops responding.. seems like the webserver or whatever it is faults and crashes. A reboot fixes it but after a while it will crash again. Is there a command via SSH to restart the webGUI system?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!