What's new

[RT-AC88U/RT-AC3100/RT-AC5300] Initial firmware releases

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Until Asus puts them up on the support sites, I grabbed the initial firmwares that are currently offered on their auto-update server (as of November 6th), and am mirroring them on Mediafire, for people who need to reflash them. The files are currently located here:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/81k6gwkfpb6jw//Asus

I have brought an AC5300, I love it, having first 57.alfa4 of merlin firmware, but did not find any of the Asus beta firmware realeases here for AC5300, I would like to test it, because I am having a bug in Safari that do not show in Google Chrome, when deactivating guest network on safari, it does not deactivate, but in Chrome Works well. Also happens in the merlin build.

Any beta test for AC5300 is welcome.

Last edited:
I do not even understand why the Asus AC3100 exists, when the AC88 is a more interesting product.

In the channels that carry it (like Best Buy), it is about $20 cheaper. Unfortunately, it is also causing confusion in the channel, who don't really know they have a different number of ports.

Well, if Asus's "Add to comparison list" on their website actually worked, you could probably find out easily: http://www.asus.com/us/Networking/Wireless-Routers-Products/ Unfortunately, it doesn't because I guess they forgot to put in a "Compare" button for whatever reason.

Actually, they do have a compare button. It's just hiding in plain sight.

If you look between the LOGIN and search window on the top right corner of the website, you see four boxes forming a square. That's the recently viewed/compare button. Intuitive, isn't it ?

Attachments

• Asus_Recent_Compare.jpg
    Asus_Recent_Compare.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 725
Actually, they do have a compare button. It's just hiding in plain sight.

If you look between the LOGIN and search window on the top right corner of the website, you see four boxes forming a square. That's the recently viewed/compare button. Intuitive, isn't it ?
Yes, found it. Thanks! Now if they only had data for the routers i want to compare! Many of them show up blank.

There is now alpha firmware posted for this router to test out MU-MIMO. I found it to be stable, but it seemed to reduce the signal strength of my 5ghz band. What was showing as three rings was reduced to one in the router utility.

I'm also not sure how anyone without a special set up can test MU, since almost no clients are out that support it yet. I'm interested in real world tests, since my understanding is that the devices have to be physically in different places or they will still share the same bandwidth.

There is now alpha firmware posted for this router to test out MU-MIMO. I found it to be stable, but it seemed to reduce the signal strength of my 5ghz band. What was showing as three rings was reduced to one in the router utility.

I'm also not sure how anyone without a special set up can test MU, since almost no clients are out that support it yet. I'm interested in real world tests, since my understanding is that the devices have to be physically in different places or they will still share the same bandwidth.

Would also like to hear from others running this MU-MIMO on 3100.

NEw firmware seems stable. The only oddity I'm seeing so far is that it is telling me my 5ghz connections are less strong...but they are just as fast, and when I check with the client's they say their signal is as strong as ever. Very strange.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!