What's new

RT-AX68U showing phantom wired connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

spothunter

Occasional Visitor
Recently upgraded to the Asus RT-AX68U. Every now and then, looking at the clients list it will show 2 or 3 wired connections. There are only 2 cables connected to the router in total, the modem connected to the WAN port, and my desktop (zed) connected to LAN port 1. As you can see in the below image, it is also showing a directv receiver and another client MAC 8E:5B:F0:9C:03:F8 that I have no idea what it is. Looking up the MAC doesn't give any info.... Has anyone come across this before or have any ideas what's going on? Thanks

Screenshot from 2023-10-02 08-11-37.png

any ideas what's going on?

Inconsistent Client List in Asuswrt is going on. For many years, firmware releases and different router models.

You don’t have any HomePods ?
Because I have the same with 2 HomePods connected to my appletv, which is cable connected.

Since tvOS 15, the HomePods will now connect directly to the AppleTV 4K, which exposes them to the network, so they are technically connected to your network via the same ethernet port. It improves the latency between the AppleTV and the HomePods.

Attachments

• IMG_0588.jpeg
    IMG_0588.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 11
Just checked mine and I don't see anything like this at all..where are you seeing this? On the Traffic Analyzer page mine shows "No clients" with a large orange circle..similar to you, the router is connected to the modem, desktop and my power network device but nothing else..are you running ASWRT 388.21732 firmware?

You don’t have any HomePods ?
Because I have the same with 2 HomePods connected to my appletv, which is cable connected.

Since tvOS 15, the HomePods will now connect directly to the AppleTV 4K, which exposes them to the network, so they are technically connected to your network via the same ethernet port. It improves the latency between the AppleTV and the HomePods.

No apple stuff here...

Just checked mine and I don't see anything like this at all..where are you seeing this? On the Traffic Analyzer page mine shows "No clients" with a large orange circle..similar to you, the router is connected to the modem, desktop and my power network device but nothing else..are you running ASWRT 388.21732 firmware?

Yes, running 21732. Seeing it on the client status part of the network map section. When I went to check the firmware version it showed 4 wired connections.

Yes, running 21732. Seeing it on the client status part of the network map section. When I went to check the firmware version it showed 4 wired connections.
Interesting..just looked at mine and its accurate..strange for sure..this has been the best Asus router I've owned to date though its odd the firmware hasn't been updated since 11/28/22 though

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!