What's new

RT-AX86U Down/Up Wifi Speeds on Gigabit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yourworstfears

New Around Here
I recently bought a ax86U and have installed the release version of merlin 386.1.2.
I have also followed M&M 2020 configuration.
My question is, my Speedtest results average around 500-600 mbps is that normal results or is their room for improvement?
For AX86U users: what results are y'all getting with gigabit internet?
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.48.53 PM.png

Wifi-5 speeds on 5ghz band on a 2019 16' MacBook Pro:
Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.51.27 PM.png

Wifi-6 speeds on 5ghz band on 2020 iPhone 12 Pro max:
IMG_6F5A68890CF3-1.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6F5A68890CF3-1.jpeg
    IMG_6F5A68890CF3-1.jpeg
    36.8 KB · Views: 126
The numbers looks reasonable given the specs of the clients and variable conditions (location, interference,congestion). You could experiment with different channels if you want to squeeze a bit more performance.

macbook only has an AC card in it, iphone is ax but it's probably for just a couple of piddly little antenna in it.

Try a PC with an AX Card with 3 antenna.

You are correct the speed is slower going out to the internet than wifi to the LAN.
You can increase the speed restriction to that of the LAN speed by using a 2.5 gigabit switch to WAN. Then use your router as a AP to the switch. I am able to to get 980 Mbps to the LAN with a WIFI 6 1200 Mbps connection. When I use the router as an AP connected to a switch with 2.5 Gigabit WAN & LAN port I am now able to get speeds to the internet at 980 Mbps. My internet service is fiber at 10 Gigabits. I notice that my Iperf3 test to the LAN using WIFI were noticeably faster than my speeds to the Internet via the WAN. And found that the internal switch in the Asus RT-AX86u unit for WIFI is restricted to less than 800 Mbps. The bottleneck is not actually the WIFI 6 speeds but the internal network switch or gateway to the WAN. Asus RT-86u Max WIFI speed to the WAN is under 800 Mbps to the LAN its 1 Gigabit. The WIFI connection speed of 1200 is true connection speed but you don't see it because the internal switch speed is capped at 1 Gigabit at least on the RT-AX86u. My friend has the Asus gt-axe16000 we did the same test but it had far higher switch speeds and we were able to test WIFI iperf3 to the LAN at 1084 Mpbs close to the max of the WIFI 1200 Mbps connection. WIFI 6 speeds actually exceed the speeds of many routers internal switch speeds. I know you posted this some time ago but thought I would respond because I had the same questions and found out the answer.

Last edited:
I recently bought a ax86U and have installed the release version of merlin 386.1.2.
I have also followed M&M 2020 configuration.
My question is, my Speedtest results average around 500-600 mbps is that normal results or is their room for improvement?
For AX86U users: what results are y'all getting with gigabit internet?
View attachment 32167

Wifi-5 speeds on 5ghz band on a 2019 16' MacBook Pro:
View attachment 32168

Wifi-6 speeds on 5ghz band on 2020 iPhone 12 Pro max:
View attachment 32170
Apple products have a compatibility issue with ASUS Routers. I had an iPhone 13 Pro and MacBook Pro 16 and would only get like 300 MBPS on my gigabyte connection so I switched to a Nighthawk Netgear AX6 router and suddenly they both were getting around 600 MBPS for the iPhone and full speed on the MacBook Pro. I don't know what's going on but I Googled this issue and turns out I am not the only one.

Apple products have a compatibility issue with ASUS Routers. I had an iPhone 13 Pro and MacBook Pro 16 and would only get like 300 MBPS on my gigabyte connection so I switched to a Nighthawk Netgear AX6 router and suddenly they both were getting around 600 MBPS for the iPhone and full speed on the MacBook Pro. I don't know what's going on but I Googled this issue and turns out I am not the only one.
I have the same apple hardware with the recent firmware updates on the Asus rt-ax86u I am able to get speeds over 900 Mbps to the LAN and around 600+ to the WAN. Using the router as an AP to a 2.5 Gig switch I am able to get 900+ Mbps to both the LAN and WAN. The asus internal WIFI WAN switch is the bottleneck.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!