What's new

RT-AX88U: WiFi Button Doesn't shut down node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sharpbarb

Occasional Visitor
I have an RT-AX88U with an RT-AC68U node. I needed to shut the WiFi down for a few minutes this morning. I pressed the button on the front of the router and and the WiFi lights turned off as expected.

A few minutes later, I realized that the WiFi on the node was still on. Since the AX is driving the show I thought it would shut down the radios in the entire mesh.

Is this the expected behavior? Is there a way to set it up so that button shuts down all the radios?

I wouldn't expect the results you do. :)

I wouldn't expect the results you do.

I hear ya. I suppose I could argue either way makes sense. I'm just surprised that since there is one router controlling the mesh, there doesn't seem to be a way to quickly deactivate wireless only. Only, there's a physical button dedicated to cycling the radios so it seems the design intent was to have a way to easily perform this task (for the average user).

I have a feeling the only answer is to use SSH.

Code:
#turn off 2.4ghz
nvram set wl0_radio=0

#turn off 5ghz
nvram set wl1_radio=0

nvram commit
service restart_wireless

next question is how you going to turn on the wifi on the node remotely after the connection been cut off (without any other physical connection)

next question is how you going to turn on the wifi on the node remotely after the connection been cut off (without any other physical connection)

My node happens to be physically connected.

I could sort of kill the node by just pulling the ethernet cable from the primary router (which is accessible in my case), but the radios in the node would still be transmitting.

@Sharpbarb that wouldn't work either. They would still be linked with a wireless backhaul. :)

Easier to just power off the main router then. :)

This is wanted by one or two other persons in the world. I really can't see the use for this myself. :)

I'm just surprised that since there is one router controlling the mesh

The router is not controlling much. You have wires. So called node run as AP can give you better control. Performance is the same, roaming is clients business. No true network controller in AiMesh.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!