What's new

AX88U router 2.4gHz wifi not working and no led lit

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

eltell69

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys I've had this issue for a while now and I used to be able to clear it by just rebooting the router but now that doesn't work. The 5gHz is good always has been it's just the 2.4 gHz that doesn't work.
Would anyone have any suggestions on settings etc that I could possibly try, btw it's the AX88U_3004_388.4_0 f/w installed.

Hi Guys I've had this issue for a while now and I used to be able to clear it by just rebooting the router but now that doesn't work. The 5gHz is good always has been it's just the 2.4 gHz that doesn't work.
Would anyone have any suggestions on settings etc that I could possibly try, btw it's the AX88U_3004_388.4_0 f/w installed.

If unplugging it while powered on followed by a hard factory reset doesn't fix it, I'd say your 2.4 radio is burned out. Considering it was intermittent and is now permanent, unfortunately that seems like the most likely explanation.

I had an AX88U in my collection with exactly the same issue. The same intermittent 2.4GHz radio. It was a hardware defect fixed with radio IC re-flowing. Many Asus router models suffer from RoHS related issues. I would test with stock Asuswrt firmware only though. If it doesn't work - new router.

I had an AX88U in my collection with exactly the same issue. The same intermittent 2.4GHz radio. It was a hardware defect fixed with radio IC re-flowing. Many Asus router models suffer from RoHS related issues. I would test with stock Asuswrt firmware only though. If it doesn't work - new router.

I don't have a reflow machine but I have a dedicated toaster oven for it. There was a chronic issue with HP laptops with Nvidia graphics, fixed like 10 of them that way (and replaced the silicon pads with copper shims). Average lifespan was 6-12 months after "reflow". Enough for the person to get a new laptop and migrate their stuff over (and be up and running in the meantime). Lead to a class action lawsuit eventually (not against me, they were warned it was a temp fix 😄 ).

That toaster lives in the garage, it smells awful.

BGA sucks.

Thermal cycling produces exactly these results, small cracks and when it gets to a certain temperature, it disconnects. Reboot it, it cools off a bit, crack closes, ok for a while. Eventually enough cracks or big cracks and it is total failure. My guess is the problem happens more often on hot days or when doing heavy internet use etc. That's the typical pattern of a BGA failure.

If RoHS BGA issue - not user repairable and the repair is not worth it in general. You fix one IC and something else fails after. Many consumer devices suffer from the greener process. Usually thermally stressed, passive cooling contributes to the issue. Pavilions were common, Xbox ring of death, etc.

It may be a long shot, but are you using Ports 5-8 on the router?

If so, remove all cables from those ports. Pull the power plug from both the router side and from the AC wall plug. Wait 2 minutes or more. Plug in the power and test again.

Also, do you have any USB drives connected? At least during a testing phase, leave those unplugged too.

Finally, if you haven't fully reset the router recently, the following post may help.

If the radio recovers during any of the above, go buy an 8-Port switch and plug that into Ports 1-4, and never use Ports 5-8 again (known buggy with seemingly unrelated issues presented when used).

Nuclear Reset https://www.snbforums.com/threads/major-issues-w-rt-ac86u.56342/page-4#post-495710

Hi all, I've just turned my router and modem of for 5-10mins and then rebooted modem waited till activated then turned on ax88u and the 2.4Ghz radio came on !st time for ages it must have been the 5- 10 min off period any thoughts on this, I'll check again later with a quick reboot once it's been on for a while then if necessary do an extended off to see what happens.

Intermittent issue related to temperature changes is not a good sign.

yer Tech9 that's what I thought still not much I can do about it other than a replacement is there. I've had the router now for a few years so no chance of an asus rma is there. What would be a good replacement for the ax88u have you heard good things about the PRO version as I'm hoping nbnco will provide me with fttp hopefully this year as some techs working on the verge box informed me as at the mo I'm on fttn which is only down the road.

RT-AX88U Pro is a good replacement model for older RT-AX88U. Updated hardware, new Pro firmware available, 2x 2.5GbE ports for WAN/LAN, 4x Gigabit LAN ports. Gaming version GT-AX6000 is also popular, the same hardware. If you don't need 2.5GbE LAN port - the more compact size RT-AX86U Pro is similar.

Ok sounds good, I use all 8 ports on the ax88u is there another asus model with 8 ports do you know. If not is the netgear GS608 a good 8-port switch to use

You don't need 8-port router. Just get a switch. Any unmanaged Gigabit switch is good enough.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!