What's new

ASUS RT-AX88U wifi vs LAN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dougj

Occasional Visitor
I have an ASUS rt-ax88u router that works great and has for months now. Recently however, I have run into a bit of a weird issue.

My ISP is Rogers (Canada) and I have a rogers email address that I have had for years. My main PC uses a LAN connection to the network instead of Wi-Fi and I always use Edge to display the email inbox in question. Recently I have been getting errors when trying to log into that email inbox. That same email inbox does however, work perfectly on my mobile device.

After some investigation I found that if I disconnect the LAN cable to my main PC and connect to my network via Wi-fi I can log into that emails inbox with no issues. If I leave that browser window open and go back to LAN it still works until the laptop is restarted, at which time I need to use wifi again.

Any thoughts on wha is happening and how to clear it?

Doug

Many, many sites now blacklist VPN providers due to hacking. Not sure why the difference wired vs. wireless, maybe you actually have some VPN leakage and some traffic is bypassing (and working).

Not sure why the difference wired vs. wireless, maybe you actually have some VPN leakage and some traffic is bypassing (and working).
His wireless adapter would have a different MAC address than his Ethernet adapter and therefore a different IP address.

Are you routing only specific IP addresses through the VPN but not others? I know Merlin's firmware has this ability but I don't know whether stock firmware does. Are you using the VPN client on the router or using a VPN client on your PC?

Last edited:
I am using the ASUS factory firmware and not routing anything specific via the VPN. I am using VPN client on the router so that my entire network is using it.

Could this somehow be a DNS issue?

The router is using one of the ASUS predefined DNS servers.
I was asking about the DNS servers used by your PC (not the router). You said the same PC exhibited different behaviour depending on whether it was connected over Wi-Fi or not. Is there a difference between the ethernet and Wi-Fi DNS settings?

Am I not correct that once I enable DNS on the router every device behind it uses that DNS? Either way, in PC settings, they are both set to obtain DNS automatically.

Is there a way to flush the DNS on the router? I only know the cmd for on the PC.

Am I not correct that once I enable DNS on the router every device behind it uses that DNS?
That's usually the case. But you asked whether DNS could the issue so I wanted check whether that was the case. It appears not.

The most obvious reason for the issue is that you're using a VPN. But that wouldn't explain why it works over Wi-Fi but not ethernet. You also said that it works on your mobile device. Is that over Wi-Fi or a cellular network?

Ok thanks now I get the troubleshooting path. FYI I have turned the VPN off several times and it does not resolve the issue.
My mail works on my mobile device in both cases...wifi and cell ntwk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!