What's new

RT-AX88U wireless camera won't connect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

markc6123

Occasional Visitor
Hello. So, a lightning strike took out my two routers (RT-AC88u-WAN port disableld), and (RT-AC68u- 2nd LAN port disabled), AND my Arris internet modem, AND the LAN port on my damn laptop, AND both input ports on my HP monitor. All connected to either battery backup or surge protector. I have read that direct lightning hits WILL blow through battery backups and surge protectors.

I decided to do away with the mesh as I don't really need it, and got an RT-AX88U, (the one with 8 ports). I let it update the stock firmware, then put Merlin's (388.2.2) on.
I have two Amcrest cameras, they connect fine via ethernet but as soon as I disconnect it, during setup procedure, it says it connected successfully to wifi, I disconnect the ethernet and it won't connect to wifi.
Reading a few other posts here I disabled universal beamforming. The cameras only connect to 2.4ghz so the 2.4 and 5ghz are separated in router settings.
I've tried moving the camera into the same room as the router, didn't help.
I have not done a factory reset.
Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
-Mark

Try disabling 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode and Protected Management Frames on 2.4GHz (personally, I leave these disabled anyway).

Did you switch the camera network priority from ethernet to WIFI? The cams will get a different IP address as well.

Edit: Should have said set the camera Setup/Network/TCPIP default from Wire to Wireless.

You do not have to change any of the WIFI settings on the router. In fact, you are better off to use the default WIFI settings including Dual Band SmartConnect. My Amcrest cams work just fine with the default WIFI on the router.

Last edited: