What's new

RT-AX92U - unusable 5GHz 4x4 performance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

phrosty

New Around Here
When using the 4x4 radio, my connection latency is all over the place -- pings in games skyrocket from ~50 to 400-800 and websites take forever to load. This happens regardless of using it via backhaul (ethernet->mesh node->router) or directly (PCE-AC88->router). Switching over to the 2x2 radio (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz) makes everything fine.

My previous router was a 4x4 AC unit and did not have this issue.

Confusingly, just pinging in console seems to still have very low latency. It seems like an important clue but I'm kind of stumped thinking about how to diagnose this one.

Has anyone seen this issue? I've reset to defaults and have been playing with settings to see if any one of them is causing an issue, but nothing seems to have an effect. I'm using 3.0.0.4.384_7977 firmware.

Last edited:
Sorry, I can't follow what you're saying.

"Switching" between 2x2 and 4x4 radios. What does this mean? How? Are these radios on one device or two different devices?

"ethernet->mesh node->router". What device is the node and what device is the router?

My AC92U's are set as Router > AP .

Not using mesh or WiFi 6 . Ping tests on WiFi using Okkla, nPerf, ping.net on Windows 10 and pingtools app on Android I get pings of 9-17ms.

"Switching" between 2x2 and 4x4 radios. What does this mean? How? Are these radios on one device or two different devices?

Two different radios on the same device. Connecting via 5GHz-1 uses a 2x2 radio, while 5GHz-2 uses a 4x4 radio. The 4x4 is used for mesh backhaul by default.

"ethernet->mesh node->router". What device is the node and what device is the router?

Both are RT-AX92U.

Thanks for the explanation. Have you tried disabling 802.11ax HE frame support and/or 160 MHz bandwidth to see if that makes it any more stable?

Hi, are you using the AiMesh feature with smart connect rules? If so I had similar issues, and configuring one of the Ax92 as router and the other one as repeater works a lot more stable. (I posted a long post last week, with settings you could use) As for 160MHz band=> never had any luck with that one either.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Members online