What's new

RT-N16U and WISP mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bill1228

Regular Contributor
Is it possible to do WISP mode (Wireless Internet Service Provider) or what DD-WRT calls client mode on a RT-N16U using Merlin's firmware?

Here is why I ask. We travel a lot and stay at time shares. Most of them have wireless available that you pay for. Way it normally works is you connect to the SSID then when you try to browse somewhere you are directed to a web page to setup payment. It is my understanding, after much searching of the web, that WISP mode could provide the connection to the time share wireless and provide a second SSID configured on the router to connect the local clients. Again, as I understand it, I would connect the router to the time share wireless and from a client connected to the local SSID be able to browse the web and have the web page for setting up the payment come up just like I was just connecting to the time share wireless without the router. This then would register the router's MAC with the time share wireless access list.

One reason for wanting to do this is, if you are not familiar with this type of network, is that the paying registers the devices MAC to the wireless access. So every client you want to use requires a registration and payment. Since this can be 6 to 7 dollars a day you only want one connection. And yes I know I could use tether on my phone but do not have an unlimited data plan. I did but recently had to change due to the large number of minutes my wife was using for her on going commitments. Using over 1400 minutes a month. (Did use tether before and worked well with Verizon)

I do not think that ASUS/Merlin support this type of operation but thought I would ask.

--bill

Last edited:
This happened to me over the Thanksgiving holiday...
At Copper Mountain, CO in a timeshare with WiFi. I could connect devices and get internet, but couldn't 'see' my devices. Tried to use a Chromecast with my laptop to cast Netflix. But, the two devices couldn't see each other once the laptop had connected the Chromecast to the WiFi network. I've been thinking about how to resolve this.... Looking forward to someone with knowledge in WISP and this area.

After doing more research I am going to try the following. I purchased a TP-Link TL-WR702N for $19.00 after rebate a Microcenter. It allows connection to the timeshare network, hopefully, via client mode. IT has capability of auto connecting to the timeshare SSID via doing a survey and selecting the SSID you want. I have an old Asus RT-N16U which I just put the latest Merlin on, had been laying around gathering dust, that I am going to then connect to the ethernet port of the WR702N. This should then give me wireless connectivity to the timeshare wireless and allow me to browse to the signup page where they will then register the MAC of the WR702N. At least I hope that is how things will work. Have set this up at home and can connect to my RT-N66U wireless and then use the N16U wireless and connect to the Internet.

I thought that I might be able to use the bridge mode on the WR702N as it will also connect to a wireless network the same way as client mode but the DHCP for wireless is disabled and cannot be enabled when in this mode. Therefore the reason I broke out the old N16U.

We will be going on a trip this next week and will probably try this out while there. If it does I may buy another WR702N as they are about 2 inches square by half inch high. Take up much less space. Taking car for this trip so space is not as limited as if flying.
--bill

Please post on how that works out for you. Thinking about doing the same with some old WRT-310Ns I have laying about.

Am currently in timeshare with my wireless setup as I described above. Have the WR702N connected to timeshare wireless via client mode and then have the RT16U WAN port connected to the WR702N. I did the WR702N first setting up client mode. Then connected the RT16U. Connected to RT16U wireless and when I browsed the web I got the popup wanting my payment option. I had been given a coupon code (free wireless for me provided by timeshare) and put the code in. Connected to the timeshare wireless and was able to browse the web. So the setup I was planning is working just fine. Set up on Tuesday eve and Saturday things are still fine. They cap the bandwidth to 1.5Mb which is to be expected but has been solid.
Have done the normal web browsing and have a Chromecast unit that works fine also for Netflix using a Acer Chromebook. The 2 iPhones and Nexus 7 all connect fine and everything works like back home except for speed.
When I get back home, I will be buying another WR702N to use in place of the RT16U. Much smaller package and easier to pack 2 of them versus the RT16U if flying, we drove to where I am currently. I know that there are units that would provide a all in one option using WISP mode but they are more expensive then 2 WR702N's.
So what I thought might work is working just fine here. I assume will work fine at other locations as well.
--bill

Further research shows that a TP-Link TL WR3020 which supports USB modems as well as WISP mode. It can also work as a normal AP as well as client mode, and WISP. Have purchased one of them to use on next trip. Very small unit about 2.5 inches square plus about 3/4 inch high. Have tested with my home network and seems to work as wanted. Connect wirelessly to my home network and then able to connect to the WR3020. Works well.
One thing about the WR3020 is that DD-WRT and OpenWRT both support it. Have not tried them but is an option. They say that the 3rd party firmware will support more USB modems. Since I do not use them I cannot comment on them.

Sorry for cluttering up this forum for a non ASUS/Merlin about devices that are not supported, but wanted to get info out to folks who are looking for a WISP mode solution. Obviously this is something that ASUS does not support. Wanting something for travel the ASUS routers would probably not be handy anyway when packing for a trip via air.
--bill

My challenge is to connect to a wireless network, such as at a hotel or timeshare where they charge for every connection. You connect to an open wireless network and then when you first browse you are redirected to a site where you provide the amount of time you want and the payment method. Multiple devices means multiple connections and charges. What WISP mode allows is connecting to the open hotel or timeshare network once and then creating your own local network. The router connects to the timeshare wireless but then passes the connection over to the local wireless network. Kinda like bridge I guess but different.
Thanks for your info. There are a number of "travel" routers that are quite small like the TP-Link I reference which take up hardly any room for packing for a flight and provide the WISP functionality. Some call it by a different name.
--bill

Ah yes. My bad. From the Internets...

"The Gateway mode is the default method of operation, in which the router connects to a broadband modem and acts as the gateway between the local area network and the internet.

The Bridge mode allows the router to serve as an extension of an existing LAN, either through the wired connections or wirelessly, which effectively increases the range of the Wi-Fi coverage area. Multiple routers can be bridged into the same network, providing widescale wireless coverage to a large area, such as a warehouse. In Bridge mode the router's built-in firewall and DHCP services are disabled so that the main gateway router can perform these functions.

The Wireless ISP (WISP) mode is a combination of the Bridge and Gateway modes, in which the router still relies on the main gateway to provide access to the internet, but it retains use of the built-in firewall and DHCP services. This is ideal for when you want to limit or control access to the LAN or internet for an individual subset of users."

Somehow I am imagining pulling away from ASUS on this one...

But ah, 25 bucks...http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=105&cp_id=10521&cs_id=1052102&p_id=8070&seq=1&format=2

Yup. Don't think you are going to use ASUS for this. The TP-Link TL-MR3020 is only $35 so not bad for a all in one solution. Provides the gateway plus local wireless network. Because of the small size the range is limited which is a good thing when in a hotel or timeshare.
At least this is the solution I am going with until something better comes along.
Provides AP mode if there is a wired connection as well as WISP mode and supports USB modems from the wireless folks should I want to use at some point.
--bill

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!