What's new

RT-N66U and Asus Dynamic DNS ([myHost].asuscomm.com)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mberteotti

Occasional Visitor
I've a problem: I'm using dyndns.org DDNS service but in a few days it will be discontinued as a free service. So yesterday I've tried to set up asus DDNS service through my RT-N66U. Unfortunately service doesn't work. IP is correctly registered but DNS can't resolve my [myHost].asuscomm.com IP ([myHost].dyndns.org works well instead...).

Any suggestion?

Thanks.

I have also started looking for an alternative, preferably free, DDNS service provider, after having used the free DynDNS for years.

I was able to get ASUS DDNS service to work. IIRC, it did not work right away, but after a few minutes, I was able to connect fine to my network from outside.

I read that some people had issues reusing domain names. Have you tried a different domain name?

No-IP seems to be another free service. I have not explored it any further, as ASUS seems to work thus far for me.

(RT-AC56U w/ Merlin 374.41)

I switched from DynDNS (after nearly 12+ years with them) to No-IP here.

RMerlin; may I ask why you chose No-IP over ASUS's own service? The latter is (technically) easier to set up.

RMerlin; may I ask why you chose No-IP over ASUS's own service? The latter is (technically) easier to set up.

Because Asus's DDNS service is tied to your router. Since I often swap routers, I need to be able to reconfigure the DDNS regardless of which router I have fronting my WAN.

Hmm, RMerlin, I always took you for an 'all ASUS man' :).

What if you were; would you still prefer No-IP's over ASUS's service and if so, why? Since when have you been using No-IP?

TIA!

Hmm, RMerlin, I always took you for an 'all ASUS man' :).

What if you were; would you still prefer No-IP's over ASUS's service and if so, why? Since when have you been using No-IP?

TIA!

I switched from dyndns to no-ip at work about 8 months ago (for our backup cable connection), but I only switched at home a few weeks ago.

I'd still prefer noip over Asus's solution. If your router dies or gets upgraded, you won't be able to reuse the same DDNS hostname you were previously using.

Asus's implementaton has the merit of being very easy to setup, but it's also problematic when switching router. Plus, I wonder what happens if someone manages to get ahold of your MAC address... Kinda hard to fix that, unlike a password that can be changed.

Thanks RMerlin, you are making good points.

If the ASUS service is MAC based, one would also have to jump through hoops if ones changed to another ASUS router.
(I have currently 2 in my set up, using one as AP. However, I also want to be able to quickly turn the AP into my router, in case the other one fails. I think I will take another look at No-IP.)

Im currently usin my old asus ddns from a dsl-n55u on an rt-ac66u.
Before reusing the ddns simply create another asus ddns in the old machine, wait 12 hours then use the old ddns on the new router.
I guess if the router dies then one is screwed.

I used DYNDNS for a few years. But canceled it after I got my Asus router since it has free DDNS service, which works perfectly.

No-IP has a free DDNS service, but hostnames expire every 30 days....no thanks.

I wish more routers supported FreeDNS(afraid.org). I use that on all my Tomato routers.

I've a problem: I'm using dyndns.org DDNS service but in a few days it will be discontinued as a free service. So yesterday I've tried to set up asus DDNS service through my RT-N66U. Unfortunately service doesn't work. IP is correctly registered but DNS can't resolve my [myHost].asuscomm.com IP ([myHost].dyndns.org works well instead...).

Any suggestion?

Thanks.
You have to wait many hours or a few days to see dyndns stop sending updates to the DNS system. Then wait for your new DDNS service to get theirs proliferated.

I am lucky to have a cable modem whose public IP has changed 2-3 times in 15 years. I've used DnyDNS for those years, and I had paid for one year. But not renewing. My NAS vendor (Synology) has a DDNS client in the NAS and they operate a free server for their customers.

I have my own domain name though. Since my Public IP changes so infrequently, I just log in to the paid-for domain name provider (Hover.com) and type in my new IP when / if it changes. Not good. But I've not found a free/almost free service that provides both DDNS and domain name registration. I begged Synology to do so, but not yet. I begged Hover.com to add DDNS, not.

Maybe someone here knows of such a service. I recall that dyndns.com does domain name registration with BYOD. But I'm mad at them.

For now, it's not a big deal to manually change my IP at Hover.com, so I see no need for DynDNS. But if your IP changes frequently, as the evil-doers are want to do at AT&T, the problem differs.

I used DYNDNS for a few years. But canceled it after I got my Asus router since it has free DDNS service, which works perfectly.

I wish more routers supported FreeDNS(afraid.org). I use that on all my Tomato routers.

Just got an rt-ac66. I was hoping it supported afraid.org. No luck. dyndns isn't free. No-IP makes you verify via email every 30 days. Is Asus ddns any good?

Merlin.... any chance of adding afraid into your firmware?

As far as I know dyndns.org also requested to logon every 30 days. I wonder if FreeDNS is any different.

However, to prevent losing my new ddns account (from No-ip) I let the router automatically update the DNS info every week.

A little howto is on: http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=10983

It is even possible to use freedns (afraid.org) with this one.

strange, my no-ip account doesn't require constant verification. it is very old, though. perhaps it's something that goes away after a while

strange, my no-ip account doesn't require constant verification. it is very old, though. perhaps it's something that goes away after a while

My understanding is that with no-IP one has to 'check-in' with them through their website every 30 days in order keep the account/domain alive - same as what the free dyndns service required.

My understanding is that with no-IP one has to 'check-in' with them through their website every 30 days in order keep the account/domain alive - same as what the free dyndns service required.

i think i remember that being required when i first created the account. at some point back, i essentially forgot about that requirement, but service was never disrupted for me. my account is a free account, ~13 years old. i've used their 'sytes.net' domain for the entirety of the life of my account. i'm currently using dnsomatic to update my IP as it will also update for opendns. the subdomain i'm currently using is a little under a year old.

i wonder if the requirement is misworded, in that using a client to update your IP is sufficient as a 'check-in' method? can anybody confirm losing their subdomain after failing to re-verify, etc?

I have my own domain and dns service with swedish loopia. My old router dlink dir655, have and option for custom ddns where i login to my dns provider and the router update my dynamic ip. Works perfectly.
How can I do this with my Asus router running the excellent merlin fm?

CORRECTION: Never-mind. I messed up what service I use. It is ChangeIP free service. (host-names do not expire after 30days.)

Last edited:
I have my own domain and dns service with swedish loopia. My old router dlink dir655, have and option for custom ddns where i login to my dns provider and the router update my dynamic ip. Works perfectly.
How can I do this with my Asus router running the excellent merlin fm?

Anyone, is it possible to update own domain name?

Skickat från min GT-N7105 via Tapatalk 2

Im currently usin my old asus ddns from a dsl-n55u on an rt-ac66u.
Before reusing the ddns simply create another asus ddns in the old machine, wait 12 hours then use the old ddns on the new router.
I guess if the router dies then one is screwed.

Had to unpack my old router, perform Faria's suggestion to release my Asus DDNS entry. Glad I did this before sending it back to Asus. Thanks Faria!

Buh-bye no-ip.org! Monthly nag is a sure way to drive away potential customers...

Last edited: