What's new

RT-N66U Can't access Web Config pages after router has been on for <???> time

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tundrwd

Occasional Visitor
This seems to have started with the *374.40_0, and has continued now through an update to *374.42_0.

After the router has been on for <???> not sure just when it starts - I cannot access the web configuration pages at 192.168.1.1. Browser just hangs, and never gets the page loaded.

I have to do a power-on reset, and then I can access the router and web config again. I thought it might be an issue with *374.40_0, so I saw that 374.42_0 was out, downloaded it today, and updated the firmware on the RT-N66U. Accessed the web config just fine after reboot. Came back a few hours later - same failure to load the page(s) at 192.168.1.1. Power-on reset - works fine.

Other than this - the router works fine, and doesn't seem to have any slow-downs accessing websites, streaming vids, etc. - just the issue trying to access the router itself through the web-based config.

Tried a couple different browsers just to make sure it wasn't some browser based issue - also tried from a Mac AND a Win7 box. Same results. All access is from WITHIN the network, in devices that are either configured with a fixed IP, or DHCP.

Ideas? Doing this wipes out all the log info. So I don't have anything to go back to and diagnose to see if something is "running amok" chewing up CPU.

Another update - unplugged the USB hard drive - behavior seems to have stopped - i.e. I can access web pages now.

Have to check log and see if I'm getting USB errors, or if there's some other issue with the USB hard drive.

Another update - unplugged the USB hard drive - behavior seems to have stopped - i.e. I can access web pages now.

Have to check log and see if I'm getting USB errors, or if there's some other issue with the USB hard drive.

Common cause is the Media Server trying to scan a corrupted video file, causing the router to run out of memory.

Common cause is the Media Server trying to scan a corrupted video file, causing the router to run out of memory.

Or, in this case - a corrupted disk. Format, etc. became corrupted on the disk.

Sorry - getting nervous with all the new info, and I get concerned when things like this happen. Makes one wonder if there's an issue, with all the vulnerabilities that keep popping up this year.

Anyway - all the problem was just a bad hard drive - or a drive that had corrupted itself.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!