What's new

RT-N66U upgraded to RT-AC66U: BAD move

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fcosenti

Occasional Visitor
Hi folks,

I have been reading quite a few complaints threads about this router, it is time to add mine. I have been running for years the wonderful RT-N66U with the previous firmware. Never one single issue, 100% stable. I never had to reset it. It never froze.

Apart from my home configuration, I have a small business with serious wireless interference. Being extremely pleased with my RT-N66U, I decided to move it to the business location, and install a new RT-AC66U at home. Talking about a BAD move... Issues:

1. Router worked for a few hours, then suddenly it went into the already mentioned reboot cycle every 30 seconds.
2. I cleared NVRAM and re-entered all parameters. It appeared to work for a while, but now, every morning, I find it in recovery mode.

My configuration is RT-AC66U as router; TP-Link TD-8817 as ADSL modem in bridge mode; Procurve 1810G managed switch, firmware 2.2. I am using latest firmware of every device. I do not have 5 Ghz wireless devices on my network, just 2.4 GHz.

NOTE: If I power off just the router and attached modem, it does not fix it. If I turn off power at the wall for 10 seconds (turning off switch + modem + router), everything works for the entire day until overnight I find it dead again, and I must reboot yet again.

Saying that I have to "reflash firmware" sounds quite weird, since it would not work for an entire day on wired+wireless, right? Is this a faulty router?

EDITED: Some config changes, which I had on the old RT-N66U, have been replicated here: I enabled jumbo frames, DDoS protection enabled, a couple of parameters in wireless disabled by default were enabled (I am talking about the aggregation and the one under it, I don't remember its name).

Last edited:
Do you still have the RT-N66U? If so, try swapping AC adapters. I've seen quite a few reported issue that seemed to be related to these adapters. Too bad they don't use a standard laptop plug, would make it easier to replace them.

One thing that might also help with the inability to obtain a DHCP lease is to go to the WAN -> DHCP page, and set the DHCP mode to "normal" if it's on "Aggressive". This is required with some ISPs (such as Charter) to avoid getting your MAC blacklisted for sending too many DHCP requests in a short period of time.

Well I have sudden reboots of the AC66U after a couple days without any errors and I just use it for wireless connections on both bands. This is information I got from SAdam who replaces Jeremy this week :

We have observed that some users are having reboots more frequently, and we are looking into this issue. Some have stated reverting back to 3.0.0.4.354 seems more stable.

So , perhaps try the above f/w and see if you have problems still.

I will RMA my unit....
It may not be necessary to RMA your unit, but you would prefer, please provide your serial number and contact information so I can fill out a case for you.

Best regards, b

Hi folks,

I have been reading quite a few complaints threads about this router, it is time to add mine. I have been running for years the wonderful RT-N66U with the previous firmware. Never one single issue, 100% stable. I never had to reset it. It never froze.

Apart from my home configuration, I have a small business with serious wireless interference. Being extremely pleased with my RT-N66U, I decided to move it to the business location, and install a new RT-AC66U at home. Talking about a BAD move... Issues:

1. Router worked for a few hours, then suddenly it went into the already mentioned reboot cycle every 30 seconds.
2. I cleared NVRAM and re-entered all parameters. It appeared to work for a while, but now, every morning, I find it in recovery mode.

My configuration is RT-AC66U as router; TP-Link TD-8817 as ADSL modem in bridge mode; Procurve 1810G managed switch, firmware 2.2. I am using latest firmware of every device. I do not have 5 Ghz wireless devices on my network, just 2.4 GHz.

NOTE: If I power off just the router and attached modem, it does not fix it. If I turn off power at the wall for 10 seconds (turning off switch + modem + router), everything works for the entire day until overnight I find it dead again, and I must reboot yet again.

Saying that I have to "reflash firmware" sounds quite weird, since it would not work for an entire day on wired+wireless, right? Is this a faulty router?

EDITED: Some config changes, which I had on the old RT-N66U, have been replicated here: I enabled jumbo frames, DDoS protection enabled, a couple of parameters in wireless disabled by default were enabled (I am talking about the aggregation and the one under it, I don't remember its name).

Do you still have the RT-N66U? If so, try swapping AC adapters. I've seen quite a few reported issue that seemed to be related to these adapters. Too bad they don't use a standard laptop plug, would make it easier to replace them.

One thing that might also help with the inability to obtain a DHCP lease is to go to the WAN -> DHCP page, and set the DHCP mode to "normal" if it's on "Aggressive". This is required with some ISPs (such as Charter) to avoid getting your MAC blacklisted for sending too many DHCP requests in a short period of time.

Everyone, I decided to RMA the unit, since it is within 2 weeks for the reseller to accept it directly without having to go through the manufacturer. I am now going through the process that they have, waiting for their instructions (unfortunately, it is an eBay purchase).

Merlin, I tried your latest firmware as well - the unit works flawlessly for the day, then something happens during the night, and in the morning I find it in a reboot cycle OR in recovery mode. Turning off power *at the wall socket ONLY* allows another day of usage.

Interesting point the one of the power adaptor, it could overheat after a few hours, regardless that would be a RMA. Reseller won't entertain changing just one component. I don't think the DHCP would cause a crash, since it would have more to do with the modem in bridge mode.

I will run with my old RT-N66U until this is sorted, I just hope that it is not caused by the firmware (I upgraded to the latest one that one too).

Well I have sudden reboots of the AC66U after a couple days without any errors and I just use it for wireless connections on both bands. This is information I got from SAdam who replaces Jeremy this week :

We have observed that some users are having reboots more frequently, and we are looking into this issue. Some have stated reverting back to 3.0.0.4.354 seems more stable.

So , perhaps try the above f/w and see if you have problems still.

I will RMA my unit....
It may not be necessary to RMA your unit, but you would prefer, please provide your serial number and contact information so I can fill out a case for you.

Best regards, b

I will go through the reseller first, I decided to RMA it just to be 100% sure. My old RT-N66U was going for months without a single dropout or a reboot.

I have a N66U running besides the AC66U with Tomato USB Shibby f/w on - no problems at all with that one....

I will go through the reseller first, I decided to RMA it just to be 100% sure. My old RT-N66U was going for months without a single dropout or a reboot.

I have a N66U running besides the AC66U with Tomato USB Shibby f/w on - no problems at all with that one....

Since yesterday evening, I have been running my old RT-N66U with latest Asus firmware, same parameters, yet no issues whatsoever (until now).

There are two possibilities here - either the RT-AC66U, since overall prices came dramatically down, had less testing / less quality components or manufacturing compared to RT-N66U, or it is simply not mature yet as firmware.

I sent the router away in RMA - however if the replacement will have the same issue I will ask for a refund.

Everyone,

yesterday I got a brand new AC66U back from RMA (package was sealed). The bad news is that issues persist. Less frequently than with the other AC66U, but they are still there.

Device booted normally, I went through the wizard and I was asked to upgrade firmware towards the end of the same. First issue. Router went into recovery mode. Clear NVRAM, turn off power at power point, it is back up. Do all configuration, runs stable for a few hours.
Spontaneous reboot in the morning, followed by inability to connect for Nexus 7 android tablet.
I turn it off using the power button. Turn it back on. It goes into the dreaded "reboot cycle".
This morning I installed the Merlin 32 firmware and now I am waiting to see if it makes any difference.

I cannot believe how a perfect product like the N66U has been downgraded to this piece of #$%^$#. Now I want to ask the question - has ANYONE here been able to run this router for 24 consecutive hours without a spontaneous reboot, using Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.374.130?
Note - you must have a variety of wired + wireless 2.4 Ghz devices and check router logs before answering.

The only time my AC66u reboots is when RMerlin releases a new firmware version and I have to flash it. No way Asus have this big of a quality issue with the AC66u, the firmware has been stable for a long time. I would suggest trying a different vendor, I refuse to buy electronics from eBay.
Have you tried a different electrical outlet? Verify your temps, is it over heating? The Ac66u runs hot, I keep mine on the provided stand and next to window in my office so the breeze helps it cool a little.

I notice the ac 66 does not have as strong a signal , transfer rate is less than the rt n 66 it replaces . When I get my R M A rt n 66 back it will be the main router , the AC 66 just does not perform as well , at least not in my house . Transfer rates went down from 40 - 90 MB with the n 66 to 10- 30 MB with the ac 66 . This is average using different FW .

I replaced an rt-n66u with the rt-ac66u. Have had zero issues with this router. Performance exceeds that of the previous unit.

System Time
Uptime 29 days 11 hours 52 minutes 30 seconds

Running latest stock firmware 3.0.0.4.374_130

Conseti I know this is no consolation but I had the same issues with rt-n66u you are having with the rt-ac66u.... I returned it.
Cut your loses and keep what works.
I will try the new ac56 to see if Asus got it right this time....is a different chip so I am hoping....for better

Last edited:
Conseti I know this is no consolation but I had the same issues with rt-n66u you are having with the rt-ac66u.... I returned it.
Cut your loses and keep what works.
I will try the new ac56 to see if Asus got it right this time....is a different chip so I am hoping....for better

I had enough, I am asking for a full refund.
My RT-N66U works with everything and it never ever reboots. 2 brand new RT-AC66U routers with exactly the same issues despite trying multiple firmwares (stock and Merlin)? Using the same identical configuration as of a perfectly working RT-N66U?
Something is definitely fishy here. By the way, they are on top of a cabinet, using stand, well ventilated, no overheating issues.

Waiting for instructions for refund - Time is money, and I wasted far too much of it.

I replaced an rt-n66u with the rt-ac66u. Have had zero issues with this router. Performance exceeds that of the previous unit.

System Time
Uptime 29 days 11 hours 52 minutes 30 seconds

Running latest stock firmware 3.0.0.4.374_130

Could you tell me which devices do you use connected to it? I have 12 clients connecting, wired and wireless. IP cameras, Samsung Galaxy S3 Android phones and tablets (Nexus 7, Sony Tablet S), Windows 8 and 7 PCs, notebook.
RT-N66U works flawlessly with all of them, RT-AC66U crashes and reboots continuously.

EDITED: I should have mentioned also 2 PACE satellite boxes (Australian Foxtel IQ), Toshiba Smart TV, Samsung Blueray player.... And more.

Last edited:
I cannot believe how a perfect product like the N66U has been downgraded to this piece of #$%^$#. Now I want to ask the question - has ANYONE here been able to run this router for 24 consecutive hours without a spontaneous reboot, using Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.374.130?
Note - you must have a variety of wired + wireless 2.4 Ghz devices and check router logs before answering.

I used an RT-AC66U for about 8 months, with a Nexus 7 and a laptop with a Centrino 6230 card, and everything was rock-solid. Never had a single spontaneous reboot or failed flash.

Could you tell me which devices do you use connected to it? I have 12 clients connecting, wired and wireless. IP cameras, Samsung Galaxy S3 Android phones and tablets (Nexus 7, Sony Tablet S), Windows 8 and 7 PCs, notebook.
RT-N66U works flawlessly with all of them, RT-AC66U crashes and reboots continuously.

EDITED: I should have mentioned also 2 PACE satellite boxes (Australian Foxtel IQ), Toshiba Smart TV, Samsung Blueray player.... And more.

I have one gigabit wired PC, 2 WNDA3100 adapters, 2 iphones, 2 samsung s4s, a kindle fire, a samsung galaxy note, a roku, a PS3, an xbox360, a Pro901 Lexmark printer, and a Sony google TV box. No problems connecting and maintaining connection whatsoever. I have Verizon FIOS as my ISP.

I play games all the time. No lags, no issues. Also, my son has a Dell tablet that he connects from time to time.

I have one gigabit wired PC, 2 WNDA3100 adapters, 2 iphones, 2 samsung s4s, a kindle fire, a samsung galaxy note, a roku, a PS3, an xbox360, a Pro901 Lexmark printer, and a Sony google TV box. No problems connecting and maintaining connection whatsoever. I have Verizon FIOS as my ISP.

I play games all the time. No lags, no issues. Also, my son has a Dell tablet that he connects from time to time.

Well something must be happening, which is specific to this router OR its chipset. Too many people are having the same issue with reboots and crashes. I don't believe that an entire container of devices are released faulty...

Regardless, it does not work at all for me, so I will get a refund. My RT-N66U works really well.

Well something must be happening, which is specific to this router OR its chipset. Too many people are having the same issue with reboots and crashes. I don't believe that an entire container of devices are released faulty...

Regardless, it does not work at all for me, so I will get a refund. My RT-N66U works really well.

Too many people? Dude, you were the only one in this thread. Send me your router and I'll set it up for you. You pay shipping both ways. ;)

Too many people? Dude, you were the only one in this thread. Send me your router and I'll set it up for you. You pay shipping both ways. ;)

The configuration is identical, parameter by parameter, to the RT-N66U that works like a charm. If you search around the other threads, you will find plenty of similar stories. Here and in other forums.

By the way, even if you would send absolute rubbish, conflicting IPs, invalid packets by the trillions, the router should not crash. Not that I am saying that it is happening.

The configuration is identical, parameter by parameter, to the RT-N66U that works like a charm. If you search around the other threads, you will find plenty of similar stories. Here and in other forums.

By the way, even if you would send absolute rubbish, conflicting IPs, invalid packets by the trillions, the router should not crash. Not that I am saying that it is happening.

Yeah, I don't know man. Sometimes you have to take a deep breath, swallow your pride and call a geek friend to come over and configure your router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!