What's new

RT-N66W with Merlin not compatible with Win8?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ab2c4

Occasional Visitor
I just bought the Asus N66W three days ago. Hooked it up two nights ago, put the latest Merlin version on it and only did basic configuring: set the SSID and password. Everything works great for the following devices:

3 Win7 computers
1 MacBook Air Laptop
2 ipads
2 Android tablets
2 iphones
1 Android phone
Apple Tv
Samsung blu ray play

My windows 8 computer will not connect to the Asus router though. The one year old pc had no problem connecting to my old wrt54gl running Tomato. It also connected with no problems to my neighbors Netgear router last night as I was testing. It will not connect to the new Asus router though. It can see it and when I try to connect to it I enter the password (did this dozens of times, no way I typed the password in incorrectly 50 times lol). Windows 8 keeps telling me that I entered an invalid security key.

I have tried googling this but haven't found anything that has resolved this issue. Is there something I need to change in Windows8 to make it work with the Merlin firmware? Is there something that I need to change in Merlin to make it work with a Windows8 pc? The wireless NIC I am using on the Win8 pc is a HAWKING HWUN4 Hi-Gain Wireless 300N Network Adapter.

Any help would be appreciated. I have tried everything I can think of and nothing has worked, it's very frustrating.

Update drivers for NIC on your win8 machine.

Also remove WiFi Hawking configuration software if there is any, and use windows wifi configuration software instead.

Last edited:
Update drivers for NIC on your win8 machine.

Also remove WiFi Hawking configuration software if there is any, and use windows wifi configuration software instead.

I already tried both of those things last night, didn't work. I do appreciate the response though. I think I am going to see if I can find another wireless network card lying around the house. Might also try a different/older version of Merlin. Something has to work eventually.

Last edited:
Are you using the USB adapter? Im guessing you've tried different USB ports?

Have you tried Win7 driver or Vista drivers?

Are you using the USB adapter? Im guessing you've tried different USB ports?

Have you tried Win7 driver or Vista drivers?

It is a USB adapter and I have tried it in other usb ports. I have tried several drivers versions for the wireless adapter, both Win7 and Win8 drivers. Its weird, the wireless adapter can connect to every other router that I have tried with no problems, except this new n66u. It can see the n66u it just won't connect to it as I mentioned: Windows 8 keeps telling me I am entering the wrong password when I try to connect.

Make sure your router isn't using a high channel (like 13 or 14). Your adapter might not support these channels if it was manufactured for use in a region that only allows up to channel 11.

Make sure your router isn't using a high channel (like 13 or 14). Your adapter might not support these channels if it was manufactured for use in a region that only allows up to channel 11.

Thank you for the response, I am in the US. When I look at my router the Channel is set to "auto" (Adanced Settings, Wireless). Is this were I should be looking on the router? If so, should I change it on the router from Auto to a specific channel such as 1 or 2, etc?

Below is a link to the screen I am referring to just for the sake that it contains a picture of that screen. Mine is set up the same as on that screen, just with a different SSID and key of course:

http://support.asus.com/FAQ/Detail....D04E-83CC-68D59A0A15C0&p=11&m=RT-N66U (VER.B1)

As an experiment be sure the ASUS is set in compatibility mode so it will connect with B/G/N adapters.

I have an older Netbook that has a B/G adapter but running Windows 8 it will see my ASUS router running in N mode only, but even though it can see the router it will not connect.

As an experiment be sure the ASUS is set in compatibility mode so it will connect with B/G/N adapters.

I have an older Netbook that has a B/G adapter but running Windows 8 it will see my ASUS router running in N mode only, but even though it can see the router it will not connect.

I will definitely check that, thank you.

My windows 8 computer will not connect to the Asus router though.

Sometimes Windows have difficulty connecting to an SSID that have been used before from another hardware(router) ex. replacing a wireless router then using the same SSID. In this situation, the first thing to do is to delete/forget the network profile. Since you mentioned W8, here's instructions how to do so, W8 or W8.1, they have different ways to remove profiles.
http://helpdesk.nex-tech.com/article.php?id=756

Here is one more thing you can try. Disable WiFi security on your router and see if USB NIC connects to your router with out WEP key.

Sometimes Windows have difficulty connecting to an SSID that have been used before from another hardware(router) ex. replacing a wireless router then using the same SSID. In this situation, the first thing to do is to delete/forget the network profile. Since you mentioned W8, here's instructions how to do so, W8 or W8.1, they have different ways to remove profiles.
http://helpdesk.nex-tech.com/article.php?id=756

I actually gave this new router a different SSID and different password to connect with than my previous router. I do appreciate the input since you never know what might be the fix. I will try to remove the previous profile for the old router just in case.

Here is one more thing you can try. Disable WiFi security on your router and see if USB NIC connects to your router with out WEP key.

I am going to try this as well just to see what happens. I will be home in less than four hours from work so I will have a few things to try.

I am going to try this as well just to see what happens. I will be home in less than four hours from work so I will have a few things to try.

Had same issue as you with my D-Link DWA552 NIC and none of the D-link drivers worked. Had to use Atheros driver that makes the chip set.

It looks like Windows 8 is the problem.

I came home and tried everything that was suggested and I still couldn't connect to the n66u. I then grabbed a spare SSD and loaded a clean install of Windows7. Keep in mind that none of the hardware changed at all (except for the ssd of course), I just installed Windows7 and I was able to connect to the n66u!

My next step is to wipe the ssd again and do a clean install of Windows 8. At that point I should know for sure.

If you're looking for USB network adapters, I'm using a Linksys AE3000 with the RT-N66U (and R7000 as well *smile*) that connects at 450Mbps with my Windows 8.1 laptop on 5GHz. The Linksys web site says the driver is for Windows 7, but works fine with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. This adapter wasn't expensive, either, it was fairly cheap several months ago, and works well for me.

If you're looking for USB network adapters, I'm using a Linksys AE3000 with the RT-N66U (and R7000 as well *smile*) that connects at 450Mbps with my Windows 8.1 laptop on 5GHz. The Linksys web site says the driver is for Windows 7, but works fine with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1. This adapter wasn't expensive, either, it was fairly cheap several months ago, and works well for me.

That adapter seems to be getting very good reviews. Thanks for the info.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!