What's new

Samba share does not work with Windows SMB1 disabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shooter40sw

Hi guys, I disabled in windows 10 Pro, the SMB1 , I have read already that Windows 10 creators edition due in october will disable this automatically because of the security risks implicated with this outdated protocol activated. Doing this breaks the samba file sharing on my R66U, so I saw an option to enable SMB2, but this does not work, so I lost share ability, has anybody come across this issue?, I tried FTP but as long as I know, every time I transfer big files, more than 500MB, like movies... it slams the CPU to 100% until the file transfer is complete, something that did not happen while transferring files with the samba share, I have tried winscp, filezilla and simple browser download with FTP with the same result, resulting in sometimes crashing the router if the file is large enough. Any ideas?
Thanks

Last edited:
"Does not work" in what way? What are you doing/seeing? If you have disabled SMB1 in Windows then you need to enable SMB2 on the router.

This post might be relevant: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/smb2.40537/page-4#post-341521
Yes I enabled in the router SMB2 on the router, in the Network section on windows 10, I saw the PC names on the LAN and the name of the router share, I no longer see this.
I reboot the router after enabling the SMB2 option and disabled/enabled the network interface on the windows PC.
My window PC is not part of a domain. All workgroup names are the same

Yes I enabled in the router SMB2 on the router, in the Network section on windows 10, I saw the PC names on the LAN and the name of the router share, I no longer see this.
I reboot the router after enabling the SMB2 option and disabled/enabled the network interface on the windows PC.
My window PC is not part of a domain. All workgroup names are the same
Network browsing is a feature of SMB1 I believe. If you manually type the address e.g. \\ROUTERNAME\SHARENAME do you get access?

in the Network section on windows 10, I saw the PC names on the LAN and the name of the router share, I no longer see this.
Do you mean that the router's share names are not showing up in Windows Explorer (but Windows PCs are)? If that is the case then there is nothing wrong. Part of the change to SMB2 means that they are no longer "browsable".

Do you mean that the router's share names are not showing up in Windows Explorer (but Windows PCs are)? If that is the case then there is nothing wrong. Part of the change to SMB2 means that they are no longer "browsable".
Ok thanks for the clarification, going to test later @Jack Yaz

I was able to get network browsing to work in Windows, and on the Mac, by enabling SMB2; along with Simpler share naming, Force as Master Browser, and Set as WINS server; I also have Samba sharing enabled on a USB stick that’s plugged into the router. After enabling those four options, I rebooted the router and all other network clients. My 'network neighbourhood' now shows up in Windows Explorer, and also in Finder on the Mac.

I was able to get network browsing to work in Windows, and on the Mac, by enabling SMB2; along with Simpler share naming, Force as Master Browser, and Set as WINS server; I also have Samba sharing enabled on a USB stick that’s plugged into the router. After enabling those four options, I rebooted the router and all other network clients. My 'network neighbourhood' now shows up in Windows Explorer, and also in Finder on the Mac.
You don't need to do any of that. You can just leave the settings as they were. Enabling SMB2 support on the router doesn't disable SMB1 support on the router, it just adds SMB2 support.

What the OP was talking about was disabling SMB1 support on his PC. That means his PC can't browse Samba shares in the 'network neighbourhood'.

I just tried to access directly like jack suggested and that was it\\ROUTERNAME\SHARENAME, I just mapped it in windows.
Thanks for the help

Hi guys has anybody tried to connect to the shareware from ChromeOS? There is an extension that I installed to mount SMB shares , the official google one called network file share, I have tried all kinds of combinations and none work, it just stalls
Does anybody know the correct settings? I have followed the guides online but they work on windows, I want to connect to the router. Thanks