What's new

Setting up some sharing, samba, or NAS?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bobby Doogle

New Around Here
I'm looking to setup some basic home file sharing. I have an 8tb drive on the way which I will half fill with existing music and photos/videos. I want to be able to access these photos/music/videos from a handful of windows and linux computers, android devices, and perhaps a roku if possible. My ideal scenario would allow me to play folders of music (rather then songs), initiate slideshows of images, and play individual video files. I was playing around with a samba share on an Ubuntu machine and this seemed to work fairly well. My question is do I get many benefits for my use case of installing a full fledged NAS OS like freeNAS? What file format should I format my hard drive for best compatibility, I understand NTFS is windows/linux compatible, but I'm not sure this matters if I access files with samba. Should I consider some entirely different approach to this? Thanks in advance.

My personal advice would be to get a second 8 TB hard drive, and get an entry-level NAS from QNAP , Synology or Asustor. Having two disks will allow you to put them in mirror, so if one fails, you won't be losing 8 TB of valuable content.

If not quite ready for the investment in a second HDD + NAS, an entry-level single drive solution like the QNAP TS-128A is worth considering due to its low price. Will be much easier to setup and manage than going down the DIY route (unless you intend to use that as a learning experience).

If you still prefer to share from a computer, the main benefit of something like FreeNAS is ease of management.

You're right, the filesystem does not matter over SMB. However if sharing off a Linux-based system, it's best to use a native filesystem, like ext4/XFS/BTRFS/etc... NTFS support under Linux is quirky at best.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!