What's new

Solved AX86U Can't rename device

  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

    SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

    Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

    The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Louis Car

Occasional Visitor
Today I noticed my new tablet was shown as "android-something-14" and on my phone using a wifi analyzer it was reported correctly as a Galaxy tab S9+
So that was a bit strange if anyone knows why the AX86U cannot pick this up/

I decided to rename it but it won't rename whatever I do. either in Network map where you can click on the icon or in the DHPC settings where I've set it to allocate the same IP.

I've had no problems before this, all my devices renamed fine by the same method.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

I am not on the current firmware but it's close. 388.2_2


Edit: looks like I can't set the IP either. It goes through the "apply" motions but ends up unchanged.
 
Maybe it is a good time for a firmware upgrade? May not help your problem, though. Things associated with network map do not always work. Sometimes a router reboot helps. But, do not worry yourself about it.
 
Maybe it is a good time for a firmware upgrade? May not help your problem, though. Things associated with network map do not always work. Sometimes a router reboot helps. But, do not worry yourself about it.
I could indeed try that but I'm doubtful that would work.
I know the network map section can be a bit finicky but doing it the other way shows it isn't working either.

The network map - yes I think it can be finicky but I know how it worked before and trying to do it the other way is also failing.
The device is named "android-dhcp-14" (dhcp ?) and cannot be changed but if I look on Wifi analyzer on my phone this is shown as DNS name "my-Tab s9". There is no such android name picked up by the app. The name gives a clue that it's forcing the ip it has allocated to it.


What's more concerning is that I can't set the IP of my devices via DHCP.
It's beginning to look like nothing is being saved

I will give the firmware a go but it's not hopeful
 
Problem seems to be solved.
I updated the firmware - it was still a problem - I manually rebooted a few times - the last was via the switch.

Now it appears to be working. I've renamed and changed the IP.
Wierd. I was thinking it was time for another router.

@bbunge
Thanks for the help.
 
Problem seems to be solved.
I updated the firmware - it was still a problem - I manually rebooted a few times - the last was via the switch.

Now it appears to be working. I've renamed and changed the IP.
Wierd. I was thinking it was time for another router.

@bbunge
Thanks for the help.
I had similar issue in the past...only way to resolve it was a factory reset. Glad you were able to fix the issue with a couple of reboots.
 
I had similar issue in the past...only way to resolve it was a factory reset. Glad you were able to fix the issue with a couple of reboots.
Yeah, me too, I was looking at some jffs threads, formatting and the like. There must have been some kind of corruption or maybe the updated firmware kicked it out of it's stuborness.
 

Similar threads

Sign Up For SNBForums Daily Digest

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!
Top