What's new

Should I see DFS channels on a US RT-AX68U running Merlin?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dscline

Regular Contributor
I have two RT-AX68Us running Merlin 386.2. Somehow I ended up with one of them being a European unit. It shows the lower 5Ghz channels 36-48, plus the DFS channels 52-136 (it's missing the upper channels, since it's European). I tested channel 132, it works, so clearly the hardware is capable. But my US RT-AX68U only offers 36-48 & 149-161. It's missing all the DFS channels. I'm not looking to use the DFS channels, but is this a firmware interface issue I need to report? See here for more detail.

Allowed channels are based on the bootloader's region. If you buy a device in the US, then it will only show channels available for the US.

Allowed channels are based on the bootloader's region. If you buy a device in the US, then it will only show channels available for the US.
Right, and that's my question. My US AX68 is not showing DFS channels. My US AX86 shows them, so they are allowed in the region, and my EU AX68 shows them so the hardware is capable, so I don't understand why my US AX68, which is hardware capable and region allowed isn't showing DFS channels.

I just noticed the same issue with the AX68U I bought from Amazon US, no DFS options available. That's a big omission in my opinion from Asus, my older AX58U is doing DFS just fine. If this router doesn't support DFS, it's going back. I can't believe Asus is docking such an essential feature.

I just noticed the same issue with the AX68U I bought from Amazon US, no DFS options available. That's a big omission in my opinion from Asus, my older AX58U is doing DFS just fine. If this router doesn't support DFS, it's going back. I can't believe Asus is docking such an essential feature.
The strange thing is, my EU AX68 does have DFS channels, so the hardware is capable. Which makes me think it's an error somewhere.

The strange thing is, my EU AX68 does have DFS channels, so the hardware is capable. Which makes me think it's an error somewhere.
I suspect Asus either skipped or hasn’t completed the certification of DFS channels with FCC yet. Either way, it’s crap and sheds a bad light on this router. Definitely can’t recommend it in its current form to anybody. Can’t believe it’s getting such rave reviews online, like Dong Knows Tech gave it an 8.9/10, higher than the AX58U. Unacceptable IMHO.

Looking at the FCC filings for the RT-AX68U there doesn't appear to be any applications for it to operate on the DFS channels. The only reports I can find are specifically for the non-DFS channels. Why that is I can't imagine. Maybe it's still working its way through some bureaucratic process and will appear in the future.

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Several reviews from the US claim to have tested 160Mhz channels. This would not be possible without DFS (or 80+80 features). Maybe they tested pre-release hardware? Have you tried using 160Mhz channels in your setups?
Edit: ignore this. That was for AX-58u and AX-86u

Last edited:
Several reviews from the US claim to have tested 160Mhz channels. This would not be possible without DFS (or 80+80 features). Maybe they tested pre-release hardware? Have you tried using 160Mhz channels in your setups?
AX68U doesn’t support 160 MHz, so you must be thinking of a different model.

Looking at the FCC filings for the RT-AX68U there doesn't appear to be any applications for it to operate on the DFS channels. The only reports I can find are specifically for the non-DFS channels. Why that is I can't imagine. Maybe it's still working its way through some bureaucratic process and will appear in the future.

View attachment 33034
Thanks for that. At least we know it's not an interface issue. :)

AX68U doesn’t support 160 MHz, so you must be thinking of a different model.

One has to wonder how can they release a AX router that don't support 160MHz that require DFS channels. Just insane whats the point of having AX for this model.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!