What's new

Skynet Skynet - Router Firewall & Security Enhancements

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can you just correct the skynetloc path in /jffs/scripts/firewall-start?

Problem is when the error shows it reloads AMTM. When I enter Skynet it tries 10 times before failing with the error.

AMTM is showing Skynet installed.

Shall I reformat the JFFS partition and start again?

Last edited:
Problem is when the error shows it reloads AMTM. When I enter Skynet it tries 10 times before failing with the error.

AMTM is showing Skynet installed.

Shall I reformat the JFFS partition and start again?

The path needs to be corrected, either by changing the name of the skynet folder back (my recommendation) or manually editing /jffs/scripts/firewall-start with the new path

The path needs to be corrected, either by changing the name of the skynet folder back (my recommendation) or manually editing /jffs/scripts/firewall-start with the new path

I have forgot the old path. And im just getting into scripts and not familiar with how to go about correcting the path manually.

EDIT: I will reformat the drive, I think I know what it was labelled as previously. Then see if this resolves the issue.

Last edited:
I have forgot the old path. And im just getting into scripts and not familiar with how to go about correcting the path manually.

EDIT: I will reformat the drive, I think I know what it was labelled as previously. Then see if this resolves the issue.

This failed. USB Not Found - Sleeping for 10 Seconds.

Not sure what else to do now to get Skynet back.

AMTM is fine, but showing Skynet installed.

USB is formatted and has a swap file. No other scripts installed.

This failed. USB Not Found - Sleeping for 10 Seconds.

Not sure what else to do now to get Skynet back.

AMTM is fine, but showing Skynet installed.

USB is formatted and has a swap file.
I would rename firewall-start and install again.
Code:
mv /jffs/scripts/firewall-start /jffs/scripts/firewall-start.bad

I would rename firewall-start and install again.
Code:
mv /jffs/scripts/firewall-start /jffs/scripts/firewall-start.bad

You, Sir, are a star!!!

Code:
/jffs/scripts/firewall-start.bad
- This fixed it!

Many thanks!!!

Some false positives for the record that you'll need to add to whitelist

Snapchat Chats (outgoing chats & group snaps do not appear as sent)
35.227.237.213 blocklist_net_ua.ipset View Details US chat-gateway-prod.chat.snapchat.com

Honestly that blocklist has been overzealous lately. I've added it to my exclusion lists, along with firehol level3.

My current exclusion list: blocklist_net_ua.ipset|firehol_level3.netset

I didn't change any settings manually. It should actually be the default state. Could it be that someone hack/accessed my router (and disabled my firewall)?
Or is there a fallback switch in Skynet that disables features in case of errors (maybe this is somewhat related to my installation to the USB swap drive and the fact that I switch off my router every night.. which theoretically could lead to disk errors during a write process). Will start using the wireless scheduler instead now...

I just reinstalled it - seems to work now.

I had the same thing happen to me - just noticed it today - mine was configured pretty much as default, (most recently running 7.1.8), and added a few IP ranges that were getting blocked etc, and all was functioning fine, and I'm 100% sure I had enabled the auto updates for Skynet and Malware lists, but all of a sudden, no more:

-------------------- | ----------
| Test Description | | | Result |

Internet-Connectivity | [Passed]
Write Permission | [Passed]
Firewall-Start Entry | [Passed]
Services-Stop Entry | [Passed]
Service-Event Entry | [Passed]
Profile.add Entry | [Passed]
SWAP File | [Passed]
Cron Jobs | [Passed]
NTP Sync | [Passed]
IPSet Comment Support | [Passed]
Log Level 5 Settings | [Passed]
Duplicate Rules In RAW | [Passed]
IPSets | [Passed]
IPTables Rules | [Passed]

----------- | ----------
| Setting | | | Status |
---------- | ----------

Skynet Auto-Updates | [Disabled]
Malware List Auto-Updates | [Disabled]
Logging | [Disabled]
Filter Traffic | [Selective]
Unban PrivateIP | [Disabled]
Import AiProtect Data | [Disabled]
Secure Mode | [Disabled]
Fast Switch List | [Disabled]
Syslog Location | [Custom]
IOT Blocking | [Disabled]
Country Lookup For Stats | [Disabled]
CDN Whitelisting | [Disabled]
Display WebUI | [Disabled]

14/14 Tests Sucessfull

When I connect via SSH, and run firewall, or try to open via amtm, I got the error:

/jffs/scripts/firewall: line 40: arithmetic syntax error

Without uninstalling, I installed the updated version over the top (/usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Adamm00/IPSet_ASUS/master/firewall.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/firewall" && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/firewall && sh /jffs/scripts/firewall install) in the hope of retaining my data and blocked ranges. After install and reboot, all seems to be fine, and the status of the settings is back to what it was before:

sh /jffs/scripts/firewall debug info

SWAP File | [Passed]
Cron Jobs | [Passed]
NTP Sync | [Passed]
IPSets | [Passed]
Local WebUI Files | [Passed]
Mounted WebUI Files | [Passed]
MenuTree.js Entry | [Passed]

----------- | ----------
| Setting | | | Status |
---------- | ----------

Skynet Auto-Updates | [Enabled]
Malware List Auto-Updates | [Enabled]
Logging | [Enabled]
Filter Traffic | [Enabled]
Unban PrivateIP | [Enabled]
Import AiProtect Data | [Enabled]
Secure Mode | [Enabled]
Syslog Location | [Default]
Country Lookup For Stats | [Enabled]
CDN Whitelisting | [Enabled]
Display WebUI | [Enabled]

Thanks!

I had the same thing happen to me - just noticed it today - mine was configured pretty much as default, (most recently running 7.1.8), and added a few IP ranges that were getting blocked etc, and all was functioning fine, and I'm 100% sure I had enabled the auto updates for Skynet and Malware lists, but all of a sudden, no more:

SWAP File | [Passed]
Cron Jobs | [Passed]
NTP Sync | [Passed]
IPSets | [Passed]

----------- | ----------
| Setting | | | Status |
---------- | ----------

Skynet Auto-Updates | [Disabled]
Malware List Auto-Updates | [Disabled]
Logging | [Disabled]
Filter Traffic | [Selective]
Unban PrivateIP | [Disabled]
Import AiProtect Data | [Disabled]
Secure Mode | [Disabled]
Syslog Location | [Custom]
Country Lookup For Stats | [Disabled]
CDN Whitelisting | [Disabled]
Display WebUI | [Disabled]

14/14 Tests Sucessfull

When I connect via SSH, and run firewall, or try to open via amtm, I got the error:

/jffs/scripts/firewall: line 40: arithmetic syntax error

Without uninstalling, I installed the updated version over the top (/usr/sbin/curl -s "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Adamm00/IPSet_ASUS/master/firewall.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/firewall" && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/firewall && sh /jffs/scripts/firewall install) in the hope of retaining my data and blocked ranges. After install and reboot, all seems to be fine, and the status of the settings is back to what it was before:

sh /jffs/scripts/firewall debug info

SWAP File | [Passed]
Cron Jobs | [Passed]
NTP Sync | [Passed]
IPSets | [Passed]
Local WebUI Files | [Passed]
Mounted WebUI Files | [Passed]
MenuTree.js Entry | [Passed]

----------- | ----------
| Setting | | | Status |
---------- | ----------

Skynet Auto-Updates | [Enabled]
Malware List Auto-Updates | [Enabled]
Logging | [Enabled]
Filter Traffic | [Enabled]
Unban PrivateIP | [Enabled]
Import AiProtect Data | [Enabled]
Secure Mode | [Enabled]
Syslog Location | [Default]
Country Lookup For Stats | [Enabled]
CDN Whitelisting | [Enabled]
Display WebUI | [Enabled]

Thanks!

The first lot of debug output indicates there was an issue loading the config file from your USB. This could be for a number of reasons (path has changed/mount point changed as usb doesnt have a label/corrupt device etc).

The first lot of debug output indicates there was an issue loading the config file from your USB. This could be for a number of reasons (path has changed/mount point changed as usb doesnt have a label/corrupt device etc).

Thank you - USB seems fine now, and all of my monitoring logs look present and correct - could have been transient after the upgrade from 384.17 to 384.18 I guess. I'll keep an eye on it and see if anything changes going forward.

Thanks!

H

Having the same type of issue with Skynet. USB drive failed. Replaced it with a new one, formatted it, swap file, diversion reinstalled, but I can't get Skynet to run. It does show that I have V 7.1.9 installed If I try to run Skynet by selecting option 2 on the AMTM menu all I get is a message that it can't find the log file and will try ten times. Same type of error if I try and start it using scMerlin.

Have rebooted router several times and tried several freshly formatted USB drives using both the name of the old USB and with a new name.

Is there a method or command that I can issue that will let me uninstall Skynet so I can reinstall it without erasing NVRAM?

Thanks.

I am trying to block tiktok at router level. I checked all the connections that a device makes when connected to the app using asus log connection page. I blocked the IPs using BAN IP in Skynet. However when I open the app it still works and the IPs which I banned still show connection established in the log.

Skynet shows banned

i] Banning 2.21.33.89
ipset v6.32: Element cannot be added to the set: it's already added
Saving Changes

But asus still connects

tcp
ESTABLISHE

Was the client device rebooted, as a test?

I am trying to block tiktok at router level. I checked all the connections that a device makes when connected to the app using asus log connection page. I blocked the IPs using BAN IP in Skynet. However when I open the app it still works and the IPs which I banned still show connection established in the log.

Skynet shows banned

i] Banning 2.21.33.89
ipset v6.32: Element cannot be added to the set: it's already added
Saving Changes

But asus still connects

tcp
ESTABLISHE

Works for me on my end (make sure you haven't got it accidentally whitelisted);

Code:
skynet@RT-AX88U-DC28:/tmp/home/root# firewall ban ip 2.21.33.89
#############################################################################################################
#                                                                                                           #
#                  ███████╗██╗  ██╗██╗   ██╗███╗   ██╗███████╗████████╗    ██╗   ██╗███████╗                #
#                  ██╔════╝██║ ██╔╝╚██╗ ██╔╝████╗  ██║██╔════╝╚══██╔══╝    ██║   ██║╚════██║                #
#                  ███████╗█████╔╝  ╚████╔╝ ██╔██╗ ██║█████╗     ██║       ██║   ██║    ██╔╝                #
#                  ╚════██║██╔═██╗   ╚██╔╝  ██║╚██╗██║██╔══╝     ██║       ╚██╗ ██╔╝   ██╔╝                 #
#                  ███████║██║  ██╗   ██║   ██║ ╚████║███████╗   ██║        ╚████╔╝    ██║                  #
#                  ╚══════╝╚═╝  ╚═╝   ╚═╝   ╚═╝  ╚═══╝╚══════╝   ╚═╝         ╚═══╝     ╚═╝                  #
#                                                                                                           #
#                                 Router Firewall And Security Enhancements                                 #
#                             By Adamm -  https://github.com/Adamm00/IPSet_ASUS                             #
#                                            11/07/2020 - v7.1.9                                            #
#############################################################################################################

=============================================================================================================

[i] Banning 2.21.33.89
[i] Saving Changes

=============================================================================================================

[#] 356910 IPs (+1) -- 1670 Ranges Banned (+0) || 40016 Inbound -- 10 Outbound Connections Blocked! [ban] [7s]

skynet@RT-AX88U-DC28:/tmp/home/root# ping 2.21.33.89
PING 2.21.33.89 (2.21.33.89): 56 data bytes
ping: sendto: Operation not permitted

Hi Adam. Ever considered doing an app for this on android? Think you might make a few quid.

Well it probably doesn't help that I use apple devices :p

But if you want to extend protection to mobile devices, I suggest using OpenVPN to connect to your local network automatically when switching to mobile data. You can also use this to get adblocking coverage too.

@Adamm, please consider making skynet much more user friendly for your users by automatically parsing whitlisted domains for ips, ips change. When ips change, they must be whitelisted manually even if the domain is already in the whitelist, very annoying. Should happen each time skynet loads/reloads. Thanks.