What's new

Slow web UI with firefox and chrome

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

route

Occasional Visitor
I have an ac66u_b1 with 384.8_2 firmware. The web UI is painfully slow when using firefox or chrome; pages can take 10 to 20 seconds to load. For whatever reason IE is quick and has no problem with the merlin firmware. The official asus firmware doesn't have this problem at all. I've tried factory default settings in the firmware, tried unloading all browser addons. My computer, running win7-64, is a little old so on newer PCs it might be less noticeable.

I have an ac66u_b1 with 384.8_2 firmware. The web UI is painfully slow when using firefox or chrome; pages can take 10 to 20 seconds to load. For whatever reason IE is quick and has no problem with the merlin firmware. The official asus firmware doesn't have this problem at all. I've tried factory default settings in the firmware, tried unloading all browser addons. My computer, running win7-64, is a little old so on newer PCs it might be less noticeable.
Clear the browser cache and cookies. And take the plunge and upgrade to Windows 10! If you are worried about your old hardware, I recently upgraded an Asus eee netbook from XP to 10 and it still works!

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

If your PC is a little old, I’d be hesitant to upgrade from Windows 7 because you could run into problems with drivers. That said I upgraded my 8 year old laptop from Windows 7 to 10 and managed to sort out the drivers after a bit of work, but it wasn’t worth the effort and time. You could wait till 2020 when support for Windows 7 ceases, then you have little to lose, bit I suspect you’d be ready to upgrade the hardware by then

Certainly, bbunge’s advice on the browser cache and cookies is well worth a try. Failing that, just stick with IE for the webui, and then try Firefox and Chrome again in a few weeks, after new updates are out.

However, if you want a distraction from all the Christmas and new year tv and frivolity, upgrade to Windows 10, but don’t forget to properly back up any documents etc you can’t afford to lose. That’s assuming you can get Windows 10 for free, and that you have an OE version of Windows 7 with a licence number. If you have to buy Windows 10, the Christmas tv is by far the better option.

Last edited:
And take the plunge and upgrade to Windows 10!
Really? This is the solution?

route, I've had this issue as well in the past with chrome. Using HTTP instead of HTTPS login solved the issue for me. You might want to stick with HTTPS though. I've built my own custom firmware and coded it to kill the webui after 5 minutes to avoid possible webui exploits. Anyways, the typical clear the browser cache and cookies has always been the main recommendation.

I would not upgrade to Windows 10, your hardware may not support but if it did, your PC could become really slow. Wait until after the new year, hopefully prices will come down on new PCs, and buy new. Additionally, I would never use anything other than Firefox on a Windows platform. Microsoft browsers are usually buggy and Chrome can be a security issue.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

I have discovered that the problem only happens when Traditional QoS is turned on. To me, this suggests a router firmware problem.

Last edited:
I have the same problem and it is the same when I try Firefox on my XP-computer. Internet Explorer 11 on Win7 works fine.
Would be interesting to know what causes this.

I have the same problem and it is the same when I try Firefox on my XP-computer. Internet Explorer 11 on Win7 works fine.
Would be interesting to know what causes this.
Are you using QoS? Does the webui work correctly if you turn QoS off?

Thanks! Turning off QoS made the webui quality of service be great again!
(I have latest release installed on my RT-AC68U)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!