What's new

[Solved] AC5300 completely ghosting me after firmware update - bricked?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Harnor88

New Around Here
My AC5300 has been a delicate flower ever since it "lost" one of its 5 GHz bands some years back. I accepted it and thought let's not mess with it (after reading about similar experiences online).

It's been doing its job well enough since then, as long as I didn't try to log into it.

Today I thought well I really should update my firmware, and let's just say it didn't go down well.

Powering it off and back on after the update, the router is now ghosting me completely. Not detectable through ethernet cable, no Wi-Fi networks showing, even with LEDs showing that both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are active.

So, of course I held down the reset button for 15 seconds. Nothing. Held it down for 30 seconds. Nothing.
Turned it off completely, unplugged power and all ethernet cables, waited 5 minutes, rebooted - nothing.
I've tried restarting and power cycling multiple times.

Power signal sometimes flashes after I try to reset, but it's mostly stable (white). As I said, 2.4 & 5 GHz LEDs are stable.
Internet LED stays on for a minute then turns off for a minute, then back on etc.

What can I do here? Is it bricked?
How am I supposed to fix something I can't even interact with?

*pulling out what's left of my hair*

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!