What's new

Stock 386.46061 vs 386.49599?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

binarydad

Regular Contributor
I see posts about how 49599 is considered a very stable firmware. I'm currently running 46061, which is 2 releases behind. I have no need for new features, only stability, and the router has been fantastic so far.

I know it's a minor upgrade, but is it still worth updating to 49599 from 46061? Not sure what I'm missing out on. Thanks!

Thanks. I should have mentioned I have an AX86U and don't see this listed as a firmware on their support page. I see the link is for the AC series, so not sure if this will work for mine?

Thanks. I should have mentioned I have an AX86U and don't see this listed as a firmware on their support page. I see the link is for the AC series, so not sure if this will work for mine?
Your signature says AC68U.
For the AX86U use 388.22525.

Getting back to this, I'm trying to see what the differences, if any, are between 46061 and 49599. I understand 49447 has some issues, too, but still I cannot find anything that says 49599 is better or the same as 46061. Thank you.

And you probably won't find anything to state that for you explicitly.

Do keep in mind that most improvements are not noted in a changelog.

True, still, I guess I was looking to hear from folks who have upgraded and noticed any noticeable improvements/issues.

I'm of the firm belief that Asus doesn't release new firmware lightly. There is always a good reason to upgrade, even if we might not know it (beforehand).

Test in your setup and let others know too. If anyone had any input for you, they would have responded by now.

Iam currently running beta from Asus and it works like a charm for now. Compared to Merlin is the only issue 2 vpns at the time.

Getting back to this, I'm trying to see what the differences, if any, are between 46061 and 49599. I understand 49447 has some issues, too, but still I cannot find anything that says 49599 is better or the same as 46061. Thank you.

I don't see the point in trying to determine the differences (whatever that means) between two older AX86U firmware versions that have been successfully superceded by four, more current firmware releases. I have the current firmware 388.22525 running fine on three different AX86U networks, one AiMesh and two standalone, in three different time zones.

OE

Another vote here for 388.22525 on the AX86U. The WIFI has been very stable and most everything else works. Still, a couple of Network Map "issues" but no show stoppers.

I'm going to also chime in and say the latest firmware is very stable. Once I did a factory reset, and configured the guest network for my bulbs, everything has been solid. No more disconnects to date. This is the first time I've really started to fully appreciate having the Asus router over a more basic, and cheaper router. I think Asus routers have a bit of a learning curve, especially if you need specifics, or just lack experience with the devices on the network.

46061 has a bug that when IPv6 passthrough and Trend Micro features are enabled at the same time, the following logs are output in large numbers.
Code:
kernel: protocol 0000 is buggy, dev eth0
This problem has been resolved in 49599.

For both Official and Merlin, the Web History, Traffic Analyzer, AiProtection counts, and signature auto-updates stopped working on the 388 firmware within a few days of startup.
Factory reset did not solve the problem.
On 49599 it works fine for months.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!