What's new

Tell clients to stop asking for proxy settings.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BrainStormer

New Around Here
Shouldn't this be added to dnsmasq.conf:

Code:
dhcp-option=252,"\n"

So Clients like Windows 7 will stop asking for proxy settings?

Shouldn't this be added to dnsmasq.conf:

Code:
dhcp-option=252,"\n"

So Clients like Windows 7 will stop asking for proxy settings?

Asuswrt-Merlin does support proxy auto-configuration, so adding this in the default dnsmasq config file would break the functionality if someone decided to make use of it.

How about an option to turn it on or off?

My win7 machine is just filling my logs with:

Code:
Aug  7 22:17:27 dnsmasq-dhcp[1068]: DHCPINFORM(br0) 192.168.0.111 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX 
Aug  7 22:17:27 dnsmasq-dhcp[1068]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.0.111 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX COMPUTER

Code:
Aug  7 22:17:27 dnsmasq-dhcp[1068]: DHCPINFORM(br0) 192.168.0.111 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX 
Aug  7 22:17:27 dnsmasq-dhcp[1068]: DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.0.111 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX COMPUTER
Hi,

Hmmm, maybe I got it wrong but I have the impression you are looking for a cure on the wrong side of the problem:
The cause of the log entries is the Windows 7 machine. Why are you not trying to remove the root cause, rather then fighting the sympthoms? :rolleyes:

On the router you can only turn off the logging by "Log DHCP queries = no".

On the Windows machine you can tell Windows to stopp beeing nasty! :)

With kind regards
Joe :cool:

PS.: I had a similare issues with Samba and Windows 7. And the cure was to tell Windows 7 to stopp beeing nasty to Samba! ;)

Code:

Because the majority of users wouldn't understand what the setting actually does, leading to more confusion.

Just create a dnsmasq.conf.add and add this option yourself if it's an issue.

Its just that I've looked several placeseven in DD-WRT They suggest the dhcp-option=252,"\n" Setting.

Merlin says adding to the default config COULD cause other issues.

I have a question. would adding a second option=252 in dnsmasq.conf.add
overide an option=252,"/n" setting in the dnsmasq.conf?

Or how about adding this line to dnsmasq.conf
dhcp-option=252,http://router.asus.com/proxy.pac

Then have the router host the pac file and add the ability to set the settings in the router UI,

So, if no proxy is defined on the router, the first return line could be set to "DIRECT" Instead of "PROXY 192.168.1.1:8080" or if proxy settings are set
then set the subnet and netmask and Proxy addess in the pac file.

Code:
function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
if (isInNet(myIpAddress(), "192.168.0.0", "255.255.255.0"))
return "PROXY 192.168.0.1:8080";
else
return "DIRECT";
}

Last edited:
Its just that I've looked several placeseven in DD-WRT They suggest the dhcp-option=252,"\n" Setting.

Merlin says adding to the default config COULD cause other issues.

I have a question. would adding a second option=252 in dnsmasq.conf.add
overide an option=252,"/n" setting in the dnsmasq.conf?

This isn't specifically documented in the dnsmasq.conf, therefore it would be unwise to rely on undocumented behaviour. The dnsmasq developer could change the way his parser works at any time, which would lead to unpexected results.

Or how about adding this line to dnsmasq.conf
dhcp-option=252,http://router.asus.com/proxy.pac

Then have the router host the pac file and add the ability to set the settings in the router UI,

I want to avoid crowding the webui (and nvram) with settings that only 0.05% of the userbase would ever need.

Honestly, what would probably be the proper way to handle this would be to fix the default value used by dnsmasq if the user does not specify any custom value.

Which proxy server are you using? When I use CCProxy, if I don't do proxy settings on the clients, they could not connect to the Internet.