What's new

[Test] Asuswrt-Merlin LTS fork - Multiple items

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sometimes. Usually when I reboot the router. Will have to keep track if it for a while.
Other suggestions? ISP blocking something?
I'm just wondering how frequently these errors occur and whether they coincide with your WAN IP changing. The errors you posted seem transient and lasted less than a second.

P.S. Yes I noticed the timestamp is in UTC as well. :)

If the WAN IP is changing, it will trigger a bunch of events, one of which is a restart of the firewall which can cause a transient blocking of traffic.
Indeed. @bbunge After compensating for the change from UTC to your local time zone can you cross reference the Stubby errors with entries in your syslog. If your WAN was being restarted it would be pretty obvious.

Noticed the DHCP Query Frequency was set to Normal. Switched it to Agressive, set dns to Cloudflare and turned DoT back on to Cloudflare. Watching the lease expire time. With a 15 minute lease time it should get to 7 min 30 seconds before it resets. Will see...

Edit. My lease renews at 9 min 30 seconds. So far over four renews the WAN IP has not changed. But it is real screwy to do a DHCP renewal that often.

Last edited:
@bbunge Why do not change your ISP or hire a WAN Static IP and solve this problem? (Easy :confused:)
I have two choices for ISP and believe me I am on the better one. My mother who lives in rural Florida has the same provider, same modem and twice the bandwidth I have. And I am within 150 yards of the hut and can't get an upgrade.
And if I am having issues someone else will have them as well. So we need to work on this as is.

Edit: CenturyLink says I have "stability" issues with my line which will require a tech visit. Oh joy!

Last edited:
Morning report:
Router IP has not changed overnight. No errors in system log.
Stubby log:
[22:30:46.864093] STUBBY: Read config from file /etc/stubby.yml
[01:31:45.287042] STUBBY: *FAILURE* no valid transports or upstreams available!
[01:31:45.287407] STUBBY: *FAILURE* no valid transports or upstreams available!
[01:34:08.083582] STUBBY: *FAILURE* no valid transports or upstreams available!
[01:34:08.083879] STUBBY: *FAILURE* no valid transports or upstreams available!
[01:45:51.061276] STUBBY: 1.1.1.1 : Upstream : !Backing off TLS on this upstream - Will retry again in 2s at Fri Sep 14 01:45:53 2018
[02:23:51.439035] STUBBY: *FAILURE* no valid transports or upstreams available!
[02:23:51.439377] STUBBY: 1.0.0.1 : Upstream : !Backing off TLS on this upstream - Will retry again in 2s at Fri Sep 14 02:23:53 2018
[08:37:30.636610] STUBBY: 1.1.1.1 : Upstream : !Backing off TLS on this upstream - Will retry again in 2s at Fri Sep 14 08:37:32 2018
[08:44:10.821314] STUBBY: *FAILURE* no valid transports or upstreams available!
[08:44:10.821905] STUBBY: *FAILURE* no valid transports or upstreams available!

@bbunge Still looks like an connectivity issue rather than a problem with Stubby as such. Unlike normal DNS which just sends a request as and when it needs to, Stubby (more or less) holds open a continuous connection to the upstream server. So any interruption to that connection, even if it's just for one or two seconds, will result in the errors you're seeing.

Actually, apart from the scary looking error messages this is not really a problem. It's just telling you that you had 4 very brief connectivity problems. You can turn Stubby off but you'd still have the problem but you just wouldn't be aware of it.

Just checked my other two RT-AC68U's which are running 34E3 set to Quad9 resolvers. There were some of the same "FAILURE" and Upstream errors in the Stubby log. Those routers are on a cable modem and most of the errors were over two weeks ago. Am still checking my DSL connection. Need to make a few changes this afternoon after I get some "parts."

Thank you very much @john9527 first time I'm happy using an ASUS router.

There is a possibility that this firmware can be used in the RT-AC86U.

Last edited:
After replacing the cable from the dmark to the DSL modem the ISP did a line test and reported no issues. I also complained about the DHCP WAN 15 minute lease that renewed after 5 minutes. Now I het the full 7.5 minutes before the lease starts over...Wow!
Back on DoT ... so far so good!

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the Test 35T3 and the 34X3?
I checked the changelogs and saw that dnsmasq was reverted, but just wanted to know if there was anything else.

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the Test 35T3 and the 34X3?
I checked the changelogs and saw that dnsmasq was reverted, but just wanted to know if there was anything else.
34X3 was a special build that was equivalent to 34E3 except for dnsmasq (to rule out dnsmasq as the cause for the MIPS vpnserver login problem)

The 35T3 has the new changes listed in the first post of this thread.