What's new

[Test build] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 alpha builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel stupid, where is the script located? It's name?
Can't see anything on my AC1900.

Just like all the other custom scripts, you have to create it yourself under /jffs/scripts/ .

Just like all the other custom scripts, you have to create it yourself under /jffs/scripts/ .
That still does not answer my question fully.
You create the file, say mailme.sh and run a cron job to run it every once in a while or is there a trigger that can be used to run it?

I think I get it now, it must be called 'update-notification'.

I think I get it now, it must be called 'update-notification'.

That's correct. And every two days, when the router checks for a new firmware, if there is one and it was the first time since last reboot, then it will run that script.

There is a problem during reboot if one of wireless band or both are disabled. It takes about 3-4 minutes in this case. On my RT-AC66U router I see that it reboot all interfaces about 4 or 5 times. And only after this long booting the GUI and interfaces are available.
If all wireless band are enabled than reboot takes about 40 seconds.

alpha 4 added a new update-notification user script. Here is an example update-notification script that will email you when a new firmware is available. This script is designed for GMail, shouldn't be too hard to adapt to your own ISP's SMTP.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# SMTP parameters
SMTP="smtp.gmail.com"
PORT="465"
USERNAME="you@gmail.com"
PASSWORD="gmail-password"

# Mail Enveloppe
FROM_NAME="Router"
FROM_ADDRESS="you@gmail.com"
TO_NAME="Your Name"
TO_ADDRESS="you@gmail.com"

### Do not change below

# Retrieve version
TMPVERS=$(nvram get webs_state_info)
VERS=${TMPVERS:5:3}.${TMPVERS:8:10}
ROUTER_IP=$(nvram get lan_ipaddr)

echo "From: \"$FROM_NAME\" <$FROM_ADDRESS>" > /tmp/mail.txt
echo "To: \"$TO_NAME\" <$TO_ADDRESS>" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "Subject: New router firmware notification" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "New firmware version $VERS is now available for your router at $ROUTER_IP." >> /tmp/mail.txt

curl --url smtps://$SMTP:$PORT \
  --mail-from "$FROM_ADDRESS" --mail-rcpt "$TO_ADDRESS" \
  --upload-file /tmp/mail.txt \
  --ssl-reqd \
  --user "$USERNAME:$PASSWORD" --insecure

rm /tmp/mail.txt

Might be a good idea to define an application password to use here, since your GMail password would end up stored in the clear in that script.
Anyone who already has (or plans to create) an application password for AB-Solution 3 status e-mails, you can use the same one as it is the same device.

I, unfortunately, had to roll back to the non-alpha build. I worked around the sonos not being useable on wireless by installing a sonos bridge, which basically bypassed the wireless. Unfortunately, I could not work around an issue that appeared with my brother mfc-l2740dw. The problem is that it would no longer scan with this build. Rebooting the router did not help. Trying to reinstall the drivers did not work, because they could not "see" the printer to set it up. Once I rolled back to the stable router driver, all was well again with scanning via wireless. It's a drag, since I liked so many of the improvements in the alpha builds, but being able to scan is a core functionality for me that I can't give up.

Does anyone have a sense of whether the loss of scanning over wireless functionality it due to ASUS updating its code, or something in this alpha code?

Last edited:
In Alpha 4 I get:
Code:
tlc@RT-AC1900P:/tmp/home/root# busybox
busybox: applet not found
This command works in firmware with BusyBox v1.20.2

Why on RT-AC88U in alpha 4 was removed option checkbox to checking new firmware ? And also on tools was removed...

1.0.7 is definitely not the version of the OpenVPN client used by that applications, it has to be 2.something. Check its documentation/about to determine which version it uses.
apprently, OpenVPN Connect for iOS is not compatible with OpenVPN 2.4.x (this is what I've read on the OpenVPN forum).
I can connect fine now... but I cannot use the newer options.

apprently, OpenVPN Connect for iOS is not compatible with OpenVPN 2.4.x (this is what I've read on the OpenVPN forum).
What does "now" refer to? 380.65 alpha build installed, or a 380.64 (or earlier)?

What does "now" refer to? 380.65 alpha build installed, or a 380.64 (or earlier)?
sorry I wasn't clear ;-)
now refers to 380.65 alpha builds... but without touching anything on my OpenVPN configuration that was already in place with 380.64 (or older)

That is the case for many of the OpenVPN clients for various platforms as OpenVPN 2.4 was just recently (late December 2016) released.

That means it's based on 2.3.x. You will have to wait for them to update it to use the newer options.

Almost panicked here, but now I see how it's used. Is this only doing a DNS lookup? No contact with any Microsoft servers? I apologize for the off-topic post.
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-me...74852954/release/src/router/rc/wanduck.c#L577
Microsoft and apparently others probe the site for the Network Connectivity Status Indicator.
NCSI is designed to be responsive to network conditions, so it examines the connectivity of a network in a variety of ways. For example, NCSI tests connectivity by trying to connect to http://www.msftncsi.com, a simple Web site that exists only to support the functionality of NCSI.
  1. NCSI performs a DNS lookup on www.msftncsi.com, then requests http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt. This file is a plain-text file and contains only the text Microsoft NCSI.
  2. NCSI sends a DNS lookup request for dns.msftncsi.com. This DNS address should resolve to 131.107.255.255. If the address does not match, then it is assumed that the internet connection is not functioning correctly.

sorry I wasn't clear ;-)
now refers to 380.65 alpha builds... but without touching anything on my OpenVPN configuration that was already in place with 380.64 (or older)
Thanks! This means I can upgrade as well.

In Alpha 4 I get:
Code:
tlc@RT-AC1900P:/tmp/home/root# busybox
This command works in firmware with BusyBox v1.20.2

I did some further checks with busybox commands and this is what it puts out.

admin@RT-AC87U-A818:/bin# busybox
admin@RT-AC87U-A818:/bin# sh busybox
busybox: line 1: syntax error: unexpected word (expecting ")")
admin@RT-AC87U-A818:/bin# ./busybox
admin@RT-AC87U-A818:/bin#

Status
Not open for further replies.