What's new

The best router for video surveillance

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hercules71035

New Around Here
Hi everybody!!

I have one question about wireless router and i think that this forum is the best for wifi router and NAS. I have 4 wireless camera for video surveillance, exactly 4 Dlink DCS 2130 HD (1280x800) wireless N (2.4 Ghz). I have a gigabit LAN and I don't have problem with interference because I don't have other wireless devices. The cameras work 24/7 and they record on a NAS in the same LAN.
The question is: which is the best wifi router for me?

Thanks

Maurizio

Hi,
Is your current router unsatisfactory for some reason? I have 4 WiFi
HD cameras(2 indoor, 2 outdoor) and my NAS is Synology DS713+.
I had ASUS RT-AC66U and now on Netgear R7000. I always get average 10fps on all 4 cameras. Vivotek and AVTech ones. I only record on set alarm conditions. Signal strength improved little bit on 2.4GHz(few dbm) but quite a bit on 5GHz(10dbm) compared to RT-AC66U

Hi,
Is your current router unsatisfactory for some reason? I have 4 WiFi
HD cameras(2 indoor, 2 outdoor) and my NAS is Synology DS713+.
I had ASUS RT-AC66U and now on Netgear R7000. I always get average 10fps on all 4 cameras. Vivotek and AVTech ones. I only record on set alarm conditions. Signal strength improved little bit on 2.4GHz(few dbm) but quite a bit on 5GHz(10dbm) compared to RT-AC66U

How do you use set alarm on outdoor cameras? I am thinking of installing outdoor cameras and was wondering this exact thing. I don’t know much about all this security camera stuff. I hate to have to record 24/7 on outdoor cameras.

Hi,
If you record all the time. when the video file space is full it dumps earlier ones. In my case I only record when there is movement. There are some options and adjustment to
make like I don't record when leaves shake by breeze. Synology surveillance station or freeware iSPY does similar feature on this regards. Actually
iSPY is good on taking acre of most of all cameras out there. Onvif cameras are easiest to set up not worrying about compatibility. My cameras have 2 way audio too which means I can trigger alarm on sound. They can act like intercom. too.

I had ASUS RT-AC66U and now on Netgear R7000. I always get average 10fps on all 4 cameras.

Thank you for your answer. I have just 2 questions for you:
1) why the 5 Ghz router if the cameras work only on 2.4 Ghz?
2) 10 fps (on average) is too little??? Now I have TP-LINK TL-WR841ND and I record at 25 fps with low resolution (850x450) because if I record at 1280x800 the registration is not continuous, but my router is 100 Mbits!!! Your router is a gigabit router!! I think that in your configuration there is same mistake!

P.S.: Now (temporarily) I record on Raspberry Pi, but I will purchase a NAS as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Maurizio

synology and QNAP - NASes - have video recording software. Archive, view history, alarms, etc. Drivers for popular IP cameras

This is interesting. I buying two for outdoor surveying to see who and what lurking around like animals or humans. I'll use the patio for extra weather protection. Already have Wireless Sensor out there for Temp/HUD/Wind/Rain. Remote eyes in the Day/Night with WiFi set the NSA325 to store the recordings.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!