What's new

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter POE QOS Settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JWadle

Occasional Visitor
I am using an EdgeRouter POE with my Comcast 150/10 Internet service The actual tested speeds are 180/12. Without QOS, my bufferbloat is "D" or "F" consistently.

Enabling the EdgeRouter QOS with settings at 180/12 results in "A" bufferbloat, but my download speed drops to 90 and upload to 6. I also tried setting QOS at 170/10 with similar results.

Can anyone recommend QOS settings for the EdgeRouter that will reduce bufferbloat without losing significant UL/DL speeds?

Thanks

Edgerouter lite and Edgerouter POE can only traffic shape about 90Mbps. I usually recommend users apply smart QOS, which is just fq_codel, to their upload stream.

Try applying it to your upload only setting it for 12Mbps.

Alternately the 8 port non POE Edgerouter should be able to QOS 120Mbps, which would be better but still not enough for your requirements.

The Edgerouter Pro can do closer to 180Mbps., so if you want to make it work for upload and download you be looking at that model. Or... you can look into the Ubiquiti USG Pro which has the same hardware as the Edgerouter Pro but is focused on a different implementation and use case.

or just get a totally different router if you need the speed like x86 based or even a mikrotik PPC/Tile based.

Im surprised at how many people buy ubiquiti through misinformation about their speeds and capabilities. They are just as unflexible as consumer routers in networking and their speeds dont apply for practical use unless you are a basic user which is what consumer routers are for.

With any router/AP - check the WAN speed values - and adjust accordingly - rule of thumb is 90 percent of max WAN speed..

Some QoS function do need that info... pfSense will make the most of it, as will some others...

Im surprised at how many people buy ubiquiti through misinformation about their speeds and capabilities. They are just as unflexible as consumer routers in networking and their speeds dont apply for practical use unless you are a basic user which is what consumer routers are for.

Yes you can beat up Ubiquiti for the way they label performance, but saying they are as unflexible as consumer routers? I don't know of many consumer routers that do OSPF, OSPFv3, BGP (v4 and v6), MPLS, and GRE tunneling. They basically inherited ALL the capabilities of the Vyatta stack when they forked, and enhanced it from there. Yes we know you prefer Mikrotik, but IMO the Ubiquiti has it's place as well. My Edgerouter-Lite has no problem is handling a 200/20 TWC connection, with QoS enabled on the upstream. And all for under $100. I have recommended it to others, but I always qualify that if you need QoS or any other feature that disables hardware offload, then you either need to buy a beefier Pro model or look elsewhere.

That said, what Mikrotik would you recommend in the under $100 price range?

Im surprised at how many people buy ubiquiti through misinformation about their speeds and capabilities.

ERX/ERL and how they tie back into their ecosystem - they're decent performers, and in most cases, can and do exceed capabilities of most all-in-one devices from any vendor in that space... and for those folks, it's probably good enough - and the tie in with their AP's is a nice plus...

Microtik, and others in this narrow space between SOHO/SME space - these are also good solutions - what I can appreciate is that they tend to use standard networking procedures/best practices, and if you know one of them, you'll like ramp up fast on the others... unlike consumer AP's with hacker builds :p

Yes you can beat up Ubiquiti for the way they label performance, but saying they are as unflexible as consumer routers? I don't know of many consumer routers that do OSPF, OSPFv3, BGP (v4 and v6), MPLS, and GRE tunneling. They basically inherited ALL the capabilities of the Vyatta stack when they forked, and enhanced it from there. Yes we know you prefer Mikrotik, but IMO the Ubiquiti has it's place as well. My Edgerouter-Lite has no problem is handling a 200/20 TWC connection, with QoS enabled on the upstream. And all for under $100. I have recommended it to others, but I always qualify that if you need QoS or any other feature that disables hardware offload, then you either need to buy a beefier Pro model or look elsewhere.

That said, what Mikrotik would you recommend in the under $100 price range?
You cant make a single interface on ubiquiti part of multiple networks at the same time with DHCP. This was a significant problem for me. I also tried the linux part of ubiquiti edgerouter by installing various useful things including snort but i couldnt get them to work like with on a regular x86 linux server.

I have both mikrotik and ubiquiti and while mikrotik costs more than ubiquiti they do however provide the speeds that ubiquiti cant and are much more flexible with their NAT acceleration. So you could get a mikrotik MIPS based router that supports hardware NAT, and even use the hardware acceleration with configs on it. QoS with hardware acceleration can be done even on mikrotik as is done on consumer routers too. If you want to compare mikrotik routerboards to ubiquiti edgerouters the best direct comparison is mikrotik's PPC boards as their performance is very similar but mikrotik doesnt rely on hardware acceleration and posts a more informative benchmark.

You apply QoS on upload, not download, so you actually have trouble getting ubiquiti to run on your 200/20 connection properly.

Go to demo.mt.lv , take a look at the kind of control mikrotik lets you do with their firewall which you cant with ubiquiti. Ubiquiti also lacks layer 2 firewall which is actually important in securing your network on layer 2 such as enforcing the gateway and controlling other things as well which have been very very useful to me such as allowing me to run my own secure network even though my ISP blocks NAT and performs the NAT themselves without needing to configure the clients.

The main reason why i say ubiquiti edgerouter to be classified as consumer isnt because of the routing protocols it supports, sure even mikrotik supports those routing protocols too but they both do it badly compared to cisco/juniper. I call ubiquiti edgerouter consumer because you just cant put static and DHCP client on the same interface and a lot of my network clients that can have this config even my raspberry pi. Just because they support enterprise features doesnt make them an enterprise router. Would you call tomato firmware or dd-wrt enterprise worthy? Essentially if a router tries to "stop you shooting yourself in the foot" than it is a consumer router.

Ubiquiti has been brewing a much beefier model that is still unreleased. They also have a CEO who actually has a cohesive plan.... it may take a while but things are getting better....and more interesting.

Ubiquiti has been brewing a much beefier model that is still unreleased. They also have a CEO who actually has a cohesive plan.... it may take a while but things are getting better....and more interesting.
But they will still have the same restrictions in networking. All that performance for nothing.

You apply QoS on upload, not download, so you actually have trouble getting ubiquiti to run on your 200/20 connection properly.

I have not tried any of the use cases you have so can't comment. But the above statement is untrue. I was running it perfectly fine without QoS on the upstream, with CPU utilization running in the the single digits. But I wanted to see if I could improve the quality of my Ooma phone system by doing some MAC-based rate shaping of traffic. The jury is out in that regards, but mainly because the Ooma does not get a lot is use these days (wife doesn't like the handsets...).

While ubiquiti ERL is below $100, many other things arent. For example the Ubiquiti ERPro is about the same price as mikrotik RB1100Ahx2 and for $100 more you can get the CCR1009 which is leagues faster than the ERPRO. When it comes to NAT performance per dollar mikrotik CCR without hardware acceleration beats ubiquiti ERL with hardware acceleration.

The ERL has been over glorified too many times. In the past when fast internet speeds were rare Ubiquiti could keep up. Now it is just an outdated dual core 64 bit MIPS router. At least ubiquiti used faster Cavium MIPS variants than the other already outdated VPN routers and costs less than them.

You cant make a single interface on ubiquiti part of multiple networks at the same time with DHCP. This was a significant problem for me. I also tried the linux part of ubiquiti edgerouter by installing various useful things including snort but i couldnt get them to work like with on a regular x86 linux server.

. I call ubiquiti edgerouter consumer because you just cant put static and DHCP client on the same interface and a lot of my network clients that can have this config even my raspberry pi.

Multiple networks on the same interface has worked for us, did you check the user manual (not that you have to, someone familiar with networking should be able to figure it out visually in the web management).

MTGanzer did say his QoS is enabled "on the upstream"...why are you trying to correct him by telling him QoS only works on "upload"...that his isn't working right (therefore suggesting he's doing it on the download).

Fast internet speeds are actually abundant where we are, and we have quite a few Ubiqs out there in service, doing very well. We know most techs that do IT for a living tend to prefer one brand over another, (although based on your posts I'm not sure you do this for a living, I think you just tinker in your parents basement)....but you don't have to spew non-truths about other brands that you don't like. We're all more than aware of your fondness of Microtik and your dislike of Ubiq.

Multiple networks on the same interface has worked for us, did you check the user manual (not that you have to, someone familiar with networking should be able to figure it out visually in the web management).

MTGanzer did say his QoS is enabled "on the upstream"...why are you trying to correct him by telling him QoS only works on "upload"...that his isn't working right (therefore suggesting he's doing it on the download).

Fast internet speeds are actually abundant where we are, and we have quite a few Ubiqs out there in service, doing very well. We know most techs that do IT for a living tend to prefer one brand over another, (although based on your posts I'm not sure you do this for a living, I think you just tinker in your parents basement)....but you don't have to spew non-truths about other brands that you don't like. We're all more than aware of your fondness of Microtik and your dislike of Ubiq.
Yes i checked the manual. I wasnt able to apply DHCP client + multiple static IPs on a single ethernet port regardless if i added a bridge or virtual ports. With mikrotik i just add the IP and interface to DHCP client and it works without having to use some trickery or multiple cables.

When i wanted to use proxy (to bypass ISP restrictions), my mikrotik router already had a public IP(1-2-1 Natted). So i had the arrangement this way.

Socket ----CCR1036_____CRS226====ERPRO. I used 2 cables because i wasnt able to bridge and apply multiple networks to it. Bridging was important as it meant i could use any port i need, attach any device i need regardless of IP, access and configure it without having to lose internet connection on my PC. Thankfully my CCR handled all those tasks with no issue so whenever i reset a router i didnt need to worry about what IP it has or losing internet just to configure it or what port i plugged it into. My CCR would note down any IP on the network and i could just access it straight away. It also performed gateway hijacking because my ISP has to give the IP for internet access but it means i cant have multiple networks with my ISP being the gateway. You dont get this flexibility with ubiquiti edgerouters.

Last edited:
In my work environment, we always have static IP's on our upstream. So the only case I have ever needed a static IP address and DHCP client on the same router interface is at home where I want to access the status page on my cable modem. On OpenWRT, I would always assign a 192.168.100.2 static IP to the WAN side of my router to do that. And when I got the Ubiquiti I was a bit stumped until it was pointed out that RFC1918 source addresses generally bypass Linux-based NAT rules from the WAN side (at well known "feature" that EVERYONE should filter against), thus you can craft your ACLS to allow the modem IP address through without assigning a static IP to the WAN router interface. When I look at it, I swear it shouldn't work, but it does.

Last edited:
I recently found out about Ubiquiti at a national trade show. I love their design, pricing, integration with other Ubiquiti products, and cool looking software. BUT... while I am sitting here trying to plan out a new project with 3 24-Port POE switches, 4 WAPs, and a Dual WAN router, I am loathe to find myself needing a quick question answered while attempting to implement my project with no one willing to answer the phone at Ubiquiti. I can't even ask a question via phone prior to purchase so I can't imagine my frustration while attempting to get past some odd installation issue after having spent several thousand dollars.

I recently found out about Ubiquiti at a national trade show. I love their design, pricing, integration with other Ubiquiti products, and cool looking software. BUT... while I am sitting here trying to plan out a new project with 3 24-Port POE switches, 4 WAPs, and a Dual WAN router, I am loathe to find myself needing a quick question answered while attempting to implement my project with no one willing to answer the phone at Ubiquiti. I can't even ask a question via phone prior to purchase so I can't imagine my frustration while attempting to get past some odd installation issue after having spent several thousand dollars.
what sort of installation issue do you have?

what sort of installation issue do you have?
I do not have an installation issue today. Today I must decide on several thousands of dollars of equipment and I can't make a phone call to get some clarity on my Ubitquiti product thoughts. I'm extending this frustration to after I've purchased my product and then still won't be able to get Ubitquiti to answer the phone. Only having email support is not my desired option for support. I don't want to have 60 users unable to work while I'm having problems and waiting for an email response. Playing email tag back and forth is not my idea of support.

I do not have an installation issue today. Today I must decide on several thousands of dollars of equipment and I can't make a phone call to get some clarity on my Ubitquiti product thoughts. I'm extending this frustration to after I've purchased my product and then still won't be able to get Ubitquiti to answer the phone. Only having email support is not my desired option for support. I don't want to have 60 users unable to work while I'm having problems and waiting for an email response. Playing email tag back and forth is not my idea of support.
Perhaps an alternative than, buy another brand. If there is something you want to know you can ask here.

I am loathe to find myself needing a quick question answered while attempting to implement my project with no one willing to answer the phone at Ubiquiti. I can't even ask a question via phone prior to purchase so I can't imagine my frustration while attempting to get past some odd installation issue after having spent several thousand dollars.

UBNT does a lot of sales thru the VAR community rather than retail or direct sales, I would suggest contacting them with regards to Value Added Reseller's in your area.

The VAR approach is typically a better with this gear, as the VAR knows the product line, and they also have the experience and skill sets needed to successfully design, implement/deploy, and sustain the products over the long term.