What's new

UI in Network Tools

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vrapp

If I go to Network Tools/Network Analysis, and run Ping (not continuous) with count=2 on an local IP address that does not respond, then after it's complete and the result is displayed, the button "Diagnose" is not restored - it's still spinning circle. I need to go to another page and back to be able to ping something else.

1623845664935.png

Also, if you open dropdown list of the popular ping targets, and then want to close it without selecting any entry, you have to click on the dropdown button again. The usual UI standard is that dropdown lists should hide if the user clicks on anything outside of them. Even dropdown list "Method" just above, does work that way.

in Chrome and in Edge, if you open this dropdown list "Target", not one but two lists open up: one with the popular ping targets; another, overlapping on top of it, by the browser, showing previous entries:
1623846197683.png
If neither of them is wanted, you have to hide them using two different ways: the one from the browser hides as expected, by clicking anywhere else; the one form the webpage only by clicking the button. This is somewhat confusing.

If I go to Network Tools/Network Analysis, and run Ping (not continuous) with count=2 on an local IP address that does not respond, then after it's complete and the result is displayed, the button "Diagnose" is not restored - it's still spinning circle. I need to go to another page and back to be able to ping something else.
Fixed, thanks.

Also, if you open dropdown list of the popular ping targets, and then want to close it without selecting any entry, you have to click on the dropdown button again. The usual UI standard is that dropdown lists should hide if the user clicks on anything outside of them. Even dropdown list "Method" just above, does work that way.
Odd, the same custom dropdown is used by Asus on other pages, where losing focus seems to dismiss it. I will see what's the most common behaviour on the multiple locations where it's being used and go with that one.

in Chrome and in Edge, if you open this dropdown list "Target", not one but two lists open up: one with the popular ping targets;
Not much that can be done about that, the dropdown is implemented through a custom pane, it's not an HTML SELECT input field.

Of course, even better would be to remove the pre-determined dropdown completely. Anyone capable of managing his router does not need it.

I modified the page to behave like other pages - clicking within the page will dismiss the preset dropdown if it's open.

I spent more time on this page while my internet service was down, and got several more observations:

1. when the service is down and I run continuous ping, it shows the response 0ms, although in fact it's 100% loss. Since 0ms may also indicate perfect fast response, it may be confusing - and even more so if while running continuous ping the service comes back up. Maybe "N/A" or an empty space or dash would be better.
2. With continuous ping, there probably should be another button to stop it. Currently it can be restarted by pressing the button "Diagnose" again, but it does not immediately reset the counter, and it's not clear if it had any effect until the first result arrives - which may be several seconds if it's still down.
3. I was running continuous ping while the service was down, and loss counter was incrementing, but after 241 losses (another time after 121) it stopped without any visible reason. If it was by design, maybe it should have said something.
4. Then it stopped completely, and further attempts to initiate continuous ping had no effect. Refreshing the page as well as going to another page and back did not help - the page stayed in the initial state, with dashes in the columns.

These type of major redesigns to the netool backend are beyond the scope of this firmware project, sorry. They are more than tweaks, they would require design changes to the backend daemon.