What's new

Update to the FCC and firmware blocking saga

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DrTeeth

Hi,

I have just joined the ARRL, the American national society for radio hams. A page could my eye about this saga so I thought I would scan it and post it.

I could not scan the PDF here, so I have uploaded it to MediaFire here https://www.mediafire.com/?ugddzpwlyn3o2m3.

Last edited:
This is inline with my understanding: The Vendors (not only TP-Link) are overdoing the lock-down for no reason!

In case of my beloved Asus devices, they do not allow me to use the legal Channels and Power Setting for the EU region - allowed settings are documented here,

a) To be compliant with the FCC order
AND (!)​
b) to allow open source software,
EQUALS​
the frequencies/channels and transmission power should be locked down to the ALLOWED settings per region or country (not to a minimum to fit all regions)! :rolleyes:

So, we still have an issue as the Vendors to not comply with the logical expression above... :oops:

AND (another and): FCC rules do not apply in the EU (even the rest of the world)!
The Vendors should respect also the rest of the world rules (especially when they are more open then FCC is)!

Last edited:
Interesting to see it from a radio ham's point of view. But at the end of the day, that article doesn't tell anything that we didn't already know.

Hams with the appropriate licenses are allowed (via FCC Part 97) to use quite a bit more power than what is allowed via FCC Part 15 (unlicensed use).

There has been an ongoing project related to using WiFi to facilitate Emergency Communications as a volunteer effort using high power WiFi in multiple MESH and AdHoc topologies.

HSMM -- the lockdown - this is a genuine concern for this ARRL effort, as it seriously impacts the amateur licensed use of those channels...

I enjoyed the March 2017 part on the article. :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have uploaded it to MediaFire

FWIW - clicking on that link - the site attempted to download malware to my machine....

Mediafire doesn't seem to be very trustworthy because of my particular experience. Just my opinion here..

I share that opinion with you sfx2000 it has to many redirects to malware spreading sites.

This is inline with my understanding: The Vendors (not only TP-Link) are overdoing the lock-down for no reason!

In case of my beloved Asus devices, they do not allow me to use the legal Channels and Power Setting for the EU region - <snip>

There is NO EU region in any radio regulations. There are differences to all radio regs in each country. Look at the 60m ham band as an example.

FWIW - clicking on that link - the site attempted to download malware to my machine....

Mediafire doesn't seem to be very trustworthy because of my particular experience. Just my opinion here..

Mediafire is the main download site that RMerlin uses so you would think it is OK.

Capture.JPG

Mediafire is the main download site that RMerlin uses so you would think it is OK.

View attachment 8625

I pay for a Professional account however, which means there are no ads. It's possible that ads providers are the source of the problems reported earlier in this thread.

I pay for a Professional account however, which means there are no ads. It's possible that ads providers are the source of the problems reported earlier in this thread.

Could be....I have even had malware ads on SNB which I report Tim so just about no site is safe from them it seems.

KevTech, RMerlin has both Mediafire and SF i tend to use SF rather then Mediafire plus as RMerlin said he has an pro acc with no ads, that way we dont get that nasty redirect that mediafire throws on standard accs.