What's new

Upgrading Wireless Bridge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fistfullofbeer

New Around Here
I am currently using a Wireless bridge between 2 WRT54G (v5 and v6) routers running DD-WRT and Tomato respectively.

The Tomato router is my main router and the DD-WRT is wirelessly bridged to it and has cat 5 cables running to my XBOX, PS3, HR-22 and Bravia TV.

I recently purchased a PCH A-110 media player and plan on streaming media over a shared drive (connected to my main PC which is cabled to my Tomator router). As a lot of this media will be 720P and in some rare cases 1080P i would like to upgrade my routers to give me better bandwidth. Personally I would like to get rid of the wireless bridge and just run a cable down to my DD-WRT router, this is not a feasible solution given the structure of my house.

I was debating between getting a Powerline networking solution vs over-hauling my network with Wireless n/Gigabit and am slightly leaning towards the Wireless n/Gigabit. This is a hotly and widely debated topic as my reading/research has show with too many variables involved and results being very environment dependant on which one works better.

That being said, I was wondering if you guys have had good luck with streaming HD media over a wireless n bridge or even using powerline. At this time the router of my choice seems to be either the 2 x D-link DIR-655 or 2 x Linksys E-2000. I am currently around the $160 or under price range with 2 of these routers and would like to remain around the same range. Have there been any good/bad experiences with these routers?

Thank you.

Edit: I would like to add that at this time the media on the shared drive is being streamed to my PS3. The HD content is being streamed by the PS3 Media Streamer software running on my main PC. Standard streams work fine all the time. Run into issues with 720P streams from time to time. But this might be a result of my PC as opposed to the network. I am not sure about that.

Last edited: