What's new

USB 3.0 Wireless AC1200 adapter

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cheenachatze

Occasional Visitor
I'm looking to buy a USB 3.0 Wireless AC adapter. Does anyone know if any adapter on the market uses Broadcom chip? I may need to use it with PC or Mac, and since Apple uses Broadcom in the latest Macs, I figured it might work out of the box. Thanks for any input.

OK, I did some homework. I found 8 adapters on Newegg. The specs usually don't mention the chip they use, but I checked their drivers. They all use Realtek chips. They have Mac drivers, too!

I'd look for a WiFi 11ac bridge to ethernet, connect that to PC. USB has a lot of overhead.

Also, if you have USB2 on the host PC side, it generally won't be worth the trouble - look for an ethernet bridge instead as Steve suggests...

It's for laptops with USB 3.0, that's why I'm looking for USB 3.0 WiFi adapter. I guess it will take a few more months for other solutions to appear (other than Realtek based).

It's for laptops with USB 3.0, that's why I'm looking for USB 3.0 WiFi adapter. I guess it will take a few more months for other solutions to appear (other than Realtek based).

Yes, you're fortunate that you have USB 3.0 on your laptop...I have no idea how the manufacturers can claim full AC1200 for a wireless adapter using USB 2.0. That's 867Mbps on 5GHz. band, and USB 2.0 doesn't even come close to that in burst modes.

Yes, you're fortunate that you have USB 3.0 on your laptop...I have no idea how the manufacturers can claim full AC1200 for a wireless adapter using USB 2.0. That's 867Mbps on 5GHz. band, and USB 2.0 doesn't even come close to that in burst modes.

867 Mbits is the link rate however. The data that goes between the adapter and the laptop is much slower than this. My USB-AC53 can't even hit 400 Mbits in actual throughput.

EDIT: Fixed lapsus that made no sense.

Last edited:

Marketing liberties?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!