What's new

VLAN and VAP help...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kaliree

New Around Here
Hello everyone, thanks so much for your help!

I am a networking neophyte and I am new to the forums as well, but I am in urgent need of assistance with my home network. I have spent days searching forums and reading posts, but the information has been conflicting and difficult to follow for a newbie. I am an experienced computer technician, but more than a very basic network is beyond my experience and knowledge base.

Objective: Share a single internet connection to two networks while keeping each network completely private and isolated from the other.

• There is a Motorola modem/router combo as the internet gateway, functioning only as a modem and wired router.
  • There is a Netgear router attached to the Motorola over CAT5. The Netgear router provides WiFi access for the building.
  • I have a Linksys WRT54g (version 4) router.

My plan thus far is:

1. Connect my Linksys router to the Motorola modem by CAT5 to the WAN port on the Linksys router.
  2. Connect the Netgear router to my Linksys router by CAT5 from one of the LAN ports on the Linksys to the WAN port on the Netgear router. (This should allow the Netgear and Linksys routers to act as separate APs with separate wireless networks, right?).
  3. Configure my Linksys firmware to create two VLANs so the Netgear and Linksys can both access the internet without any possibility of the wired or wireless traffic being intercepted by the other network.
Is this possible? Is there a simpler solution? If this is the best solution, then how should I go about creating the VLAN's on my Linksys router? I am currently running Tomato 1.28 firmware.

Thank you for your help! :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!