What's new

VPN, download manager and routing questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nihon

Regular Contributor
1. How can I route download manager through the VPN tunnel to the VPN service provider?

2. How can I then verify the download manager is really using the VPN tunnel?

3. What are the routes setup needed to route VPN server clients (OpenVPN server enabled in the router) out through the VPN tunnel (OpenVPN client or PPTP client in router setup to VPN provider).
I want clients to the routers VPN server to browse out through the VPN service provider but also get access to the LAN.

I assume this should be possible with routing available in Merlin but I am not sure how to do it....all tests have failed so far. As soon I route the VPN subnet to tun instead of WAN i can no longer acces the router from outside.

4. Which VPN encryption is recommended and which ones should be avoided?

(Thanks to Asus Merlin I chose to invest in a AC68U instead of AC66U. The extra CPU power and USB3 is a notable improvement :)

2. How can I then verify the download manager is really using the VPN tunnel?

I know this is an old thread, but for others who may be wondering the same thing you can use the Torrent Address Detection feature on https://ipleak.net