What's new

VPN issues.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jetcorose

New Around Here
Hi all, sorry if I am in the wrong forum.

Running merlin 384.12, on an Asus ac3200 ,I use nord VPN with strict policy rules to route certain devices through the VPN.

My issue is recently ( as of 2 weeks ago ) VM increased my fibre from 200dl to 350dl, prior to this, running any device through the OVPN setup on the router would give me an avg of 160-175dl speeds, without I was getting 215dl speeds ... well now I am getting 365dl without a vpn, all of a sudden, no matter which server I try, the router is using just 1 core and wont give me a greater speed of 30mb dl speeds, but still gives a 30 upload, Is this normal, if not how can I up it again.

Apologies for the post, Im not technical in the slightest when it comes to this stuff.

I have scoured the net, Iv tried different DNS addresses in the Wan settings, Iv disabled NAT accelaration, and also tried disabling firewalls.

Running merlin 384.12, on an Asus ac3200... running any device through the OVPN setup on the router would give me an avg of 160-175dl speeds

Most likely something was not configured properly and your traffic wasn't going through VPN. 160-175Mbps OpenVPN download speeds are not possible with RT-AC3200. You can reach about 30-40Mbps speeds through OpenVPN with this router, exactly what you see now. Only newer ARM CPU models with AES-NI support can reach about 220-230Mbps with OpenVPN. With 350Mbps ISP connection you have the following options:

- upgrade your router to RT-AC86U or RT-AX88U
(Asuswrt-Merlin support, up to 230Mbps VPN, network wide)

- use VPN client on a PC
(Intel i3 or faster, up to maximum supported by the VPN server, single device)

- build a pfSense router with AES-NI support
(Intel i5 or faster, up to maximum supported by the VPN server, network wide)

Keep in mind not all VPN servers allow speeds over 200Mbps anyway, no matter what ISP connection you have and what VPN hardware you use. NordVPN can reach 200-220Mbps with RT-AC86U on a local server only, if the server allows.