What's new

VPN Newby

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I've not tried to use the VPN facility provided with my RT-AC86U before, but my son has asked me to set it up so that he can save files on our network while he is away at University. I've done a quick test using my Android mobile after puzzling a bit over some of the setup steps and found that provided I disconnect my phone from my Wi-Fi and use my mobile account to access the internet, I can connect (not sure what use a VPN is for a mobile phone though). Anyway, just out of curiousity, I was wondering, would I have to export a new file from my router for each individual VPN client, or would all clients use the same file and just add their own user names and passwords?

If you use the basic configuration (i.e. you don't enable certificate-based authentication), then you can reuse the same client1.ovpn config file for all users/devices.

If you use the basic configuration (i.e. you don't enable certificate-based authentication), then you can reuse the same client1.ovpn config file for all users/devices.

Worst advice ever... OpenVPN 'certificate-based authentication' should always be enabled - relying on just the security provideded by only using a simple UserID/Password combo is stupid.

Never had Asus VPN hacked with default settings. Changing the default port is a good idea.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Changing the default port is a good idea.

This is good advice.

When I started off using the default port, I saw in the router system log file that someone from outside tried to log in via VPN once every day. Fortunately, I am using a non-standard admin id and password as well as certificates, so they were not able to get in.

Since I changed to a non-standard port number, there are no attempts recorded in the log file.

Worst advice ever... OpenVPN 'certificate-based authentication' should always be enabled - relying on just the security provideded by only using a simple UserID/Password combo is stupid.

That is NOT what I was implying. I'm talking about using the pre-generated client certificate versus generating your own unique certificates for each users.