What's new

VPN - TOR combination and ordering?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Luboknok

Regular Contributor
I run VPN and TOR off Merlin and am wondering two things.

1. Does the TOR tunnel connect through the VPN or are they discreet?
2. Is it possible to add a VPN after TOR? This is very useful for sites the captcha TOR to death.

I run VPN and TOR off Merlin and am wondering two things.

1. Does the TOR tunnel connect through the VPN or are they discreet?
2. Is it possible to add a VPN after TOR? This is very useful for sites the captcha TOR to death.
I believe the Asuswrt-Merlin Tor firewall is nat-based, so it's for clients only. You can route a VPN through Tor, if the VPN connection is started from a client computer/device. If you just need to bypass captchas for Tor clients, you could configure a web browser to use a SOCKS proxy. Try Google this: "free socks proxy"

I noticed something interesting. When VPN Redirect Internet traffic is set to redirect ALL traffic, and a device MAC is set in the TOR tab with TOR on, then Merlin will run the devices TOR over VPN.

However when VPN Redirect Internet traffic is set to Policy based (Strict), with the corresponding device routed through VPN policy, and the TOR tab set the same as previous, the device will not connect to the internet.

In other words, policy based VPN does not work simultaneously with TOR.

Having VPN under TOR is userful for preventing IP leaks as TOR isn't always failsafe. It would be great if Policy based routing (strict) would work with selective devices routed VPN and TOR, without requiring all router traffic to be routed through the VPN.

Last edited: