What's new

vpnmgr vpnmgr - Manage and update VPN Client configurations for NordVPN and PIA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which VPN provider do you use?

• Total voters
Anyone using iVacyVPN here?

@Jack Yaz - I'm finding the NordVPN manager tab is dropping off the interface from time to time - I haven't determined what circumstances lead to it. Still running 384.17 on AC86. Didn't happen early on but have only been using this for a week. If there is any way I can provide input - let me know.

@Jack Yaz - I'm finding the NordVPN manager tab is dropping off the interface from time to time - I haven't determined what circumstances lead to it. Still running 384.17 on AC86. Didn't happen early on but have only been using this for a week. If there is any way I can provide input - let me know.
WebUI stuff should only happen at startup. Are you rebooting when this happens?

No, this is hours after reboot. I've left the router as-is (with the webui missing) and will see if the script fires after midnight to reset the VPN target. FWIW, I have a timer controlled switch that power cycles the router around 4AM so I presume it will reappear in the AM. Will provide update tomorrow.

SO, script still updated target as scheduled. Functionality is working - just not the webui. Let me know how I can help troubleshoot this for you.

SO, script still updated target as scheduled. Functionality is working - just not the webui. Let me know how I can help troubleshoot this for you.
What happens if you run
Code:
nvpnmgr startup
You must be running another script that tamper with /tmp/menuTree.js if the tab appears then disappears later.

Syslog should also show if nvpnmgr failed on startup or anything

What happens if you run
Code:
nvpnmgr startup
You must be running another script that tamper with /tmp/menuTree.js if the tab appears then disappears later.

Syslog should also show if nvpnmgr failed on startup or anything

I'll try that it if it fails again. I have very limited scripts set up so I'm not sure what could be breaking things - in fact, I'm not aware of any that tamper with the menu tree at all. The tab reappeared after the power cycle. Will keep an eye on it.

I'll try that it if it fails again. I have very limited scripts set up so I'm not sure what could be breaking things - in fact, I'm not aware of any that tamper with the menu tree at all. The tab reappeared after the power cycle. Will keep an eye on it.
15 hours of operation and webui is still intact and functional. Will report again if I see another failure or have other info. Love the script.

I'm going to prepare a release version of this script today since I don't think we have any showstopping issues. Thanks to all users so far :D

With regards to expanding supported VPN providers, it looks like PIA is second in the poll. I'll take a look!

15 hours of operation and webui is still intact and functional. Will report again if I see another failure or have other info. Love the script.
WebUI survived through roughly 24 hours but disappeared sometime after 14 hours of operation (no syslog entries that indicate an issue.) Entered nvpnmgr startup as suggested and it registered the UI without issue. I SSH'd into the router and updated to 1.0. We'll see if that makes any difference. Loss of the UI is just annoying since I'm not tuning the config regularly. Love the functionality a bunch.

@Jack Yaz how would i go about adding torguard support i do think the idea to make it a generic script independent of vpn is a good idea?

WebUI survived through roughly 24 hours but disappeared sometime after 14 hours of operation (no syslog entries that indicate an issue.) Entered nvpnmgr startup as suggested and it registered the UI without issue. I SSH'd into the router and updated to 1.0. We'll see if that makes any difference. Loss of the UI is just annoying since I'm not tuning the config regularly. Love the functionality a bunch.
very weird. Can you upload and pm a copy of your syslog so i can take a look at anything that might have tripped it? next time it happens, can you run:
Code:
ls -la /tmp/menuTree.js
so we can check when it was last modified please?

I use Nord VPN on my phone but recently switched to OpenVPN on the router setup to push all traffic through my home to basically use diversion to block ads. But using this setup means that the routers outbound traffic will be through a vpn (nordvpn), is this what it means ?

But when I configured the nordVPN on the router using client 1 and using nvpnmgr , it shows on the VPN status on the webgui its says stopped.

How do I start the VPN ?

Last edited:
I use Nord VPN on my phone but recently switched to OpenVPN on the router setup to push all traffic through my home to basically use diversion to block ads. But using this setup means that the routers outbound traffic will be through a vpn (nordvpn), is this what it means ?

But when I configured the nordVPN on the router using client 1 and using nvpnmgr , it shows on the VPN status on the webgui its says stopped.

How do I start the VPN ?
for now you need to enable it to start on boot and turn it on in the VPN client tab

In the next version this will be done automatically for a "fresh" client setup

very weird. Can you upload and pm a copy of your syslog so i can take a look at anything that might have tripped it? next time it happens, can you run:
Code:
ls -la /tmp/menuTree.js
so we can check when it was last modified please?
Code:
xxxx@RT-AC86U-A580:/tmp/home/root# ls -la /tmp/menuTree.js
-rw-rw-r--    1 xxxx      root         21594 Jul 13 04:43 /tmp/menuTree.js

It appears to update on each power cycle based on the timing...

Naturally, it hasn't happened in the last week. Question - if I update the firmware to x.18, does the installation persist or do I need to redo something?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!