What's new

vpnmgr vpnmgr - Manage and update VPN Client configurations for NordVPN and PIA

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Which VPN provider do you use?

• Total voters
Hi guys,

I come back to this post b/c I do not have very extended knowledge about subnets and how to make vpnmgr work as I wanted to.
Please read my post and if I am not clear just let me know and I'll exaplain more.

Guest 1: setup for VPN server 1 (what ever Nord VPN picks). Subnet 192.168.2.0
Guest 2: I want no VPN, just normal internet through my ISP. Subnet 192.168.5.0. This does not work.
Main connection: I want it to be with VPN, but I do not know how to configure it !?

View attachment 29714 View attachment 29715

VPN 1:
View attachment 29717 View attachment 29718

VPN 2:
View attachment 29720

I do not want to clutter this thread.
If I have mistakenly posted in the incorrect forum please advise so I can repost...

I do not want to clutter this thread.
If I have mistakenly posted in the incorrect forum please advise so I can repost...
Best to do a new thread. What isn't working with guest 2 re. vpn, how are you testing it? For nom guests I'll reply on your new thread when its posted

Jack, thanks for your work on this script. I chipped in via PayPal, nice work.
It looked like the big streamer of flix culled a bunch of nordvpn servers tonight, so I was deep in the weeds playing wackamole. A couple thoughts: I find the CLI vpnmgr to be easier to use and less buggy on my hardware (66U-B1, 184.19) than the webGUI. (EDIT: the stock client config page) Being able to setup new VPN clients on the fly is great, the only thing that would be better is if you could enter your credentials via CLI for new client config and if you could optionally set a starting server number instead of just a city. Again, thanks!
CLI currently prompts for username and password only if one hasn't been entered previously. I'll add in an optional "do you want to update the username/password"

CLI currently prompts for username and password only if one hasn't been entered previously. I'll add in an optional "do you want to update the username/password"
Yes, I discovered that the "warning" was actually an "input prompt", my bad.
I am using policy routing for my roku to geolocate, what I have discovered with the vpnmgr is that the recommended server isn't always a server that works with the more aggressive streaming providers *cough***flix*, so I'm using it mostly for the quickness and efficiency of the CLI. What would really complete it is the ability to choose a server number for those of us who keep track of the cat and mouse game.

Yes, I discovered that the "warning" was actually an "input prompt", my bad.
I am using policy routing for my roku to geolocate, what I have discovered with the vpnmgr is that the recommended server isn't always a server that works with the more aggressive streaming providers *cough***flix*, so I'm using it mostly for the quickness and efficiency of the CLI. What would really complete it is the ability to choose a server number for those of us who keep track of the cat and mouse game.
I've implemented a credential update branch, it will be in the next version.
Is there a particular "type" of server that works? Adding in a direct server ID is an extra layer than querying via the API. Do-able, but additional work

I've implemented a credential update branch, it will be in the next version.
Is there a particular "type" of server that works? Adding in a direct server ID is an extra layer than querying via the API. Do-able, but additional work
it seems to vary. right now its working with a P2P. Obfuscated seems to work well, but accessing a list of those is problematic.

Historically Ive been getting by with standard servers, but it seems that everything changed this weekend. I try to keep a list of the servers that work, which is where the direct access comes in. Some cities have only one server that works, some have many. It would be great if NordVPN were as aggressive at updating server IPs as the services were at bouncing them.

At any rate, as I said, *just* having the CLI is worth the price of admission. Great work, thank you.

it seems to vary. right now its working with a P2P. Obfuscated seems to work well, but accessing a list of those is problematic.

Historically Ive been getting by with standard servers, but it seems that everything changed this weekend. I try to keep a list of the servers that work, which is where the direct access comes in. Some cities have only one server that works, some have many. It would be great if NordVPN were as aggressive at updating server IPs as the services were at bouncing them.

At any rate, as I said, *just* having the CLI is worth the price of admission. Great work, thank you.
i can't recall off the top of my head but obfuscated might be queryable via the API. not sure!

I'll look into squeezing server id into the next release

i can't recall off the top of my head but obfuscated might be queryable via the API. not sure!

I'll look into squeezing server id into the next release
I'd be very surprised, they seem a precious thing.

I'd be very surprised, they seem a precious thing.
It is queryable but theyre very few:
1612572110095.png

can i double check what you mean by "server number"?

v2.2.0 is now available
Changelog

• NEW: Check for updates in WebUI
  • NEW: Show current server load for in-use NordVPN server
  • IMPROVED: Schedule by every X hours/minutes as well as fixed schedule
  • IMPROVED: Option to update username/password at command line
  • IMPROVED: WebUI uses minified JS
  • FIXED: PIA and WeVPN country lists
  • FIXED: Schedule wasn't always being removed
  • CHANGED: Script launches from post-mount on reboot, not services-start

Thanks for the update. I installed the latest version. When I choose PIA & hit save, the country/city dropbox disappears or greys out. Also, the firmware check shows N/A.

Is this normal?

Attachments

• Screenshot (4)_LI.jpg
    Screenshot (4)_LI.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 80
Thanks for the update. I installed the latest version. When I choose PIA & hit save, the country/city dropbox disappears or greys out. Also, the firmware check shows N/A.

Is this normal?
What values did you have set for country after changing to PIA?

Firmware check?

What values did you have set for country after changing to PIA?

Firmware check?
I posted a screenshot.

As soon as I click on PIA insdie the vpnmgr GUI the country/city dropboxes grey out. It doesn't allow for me to choose the country/city.

The N/A shows under fw information.

This is what I got when installing:

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX88U 386.1_0 Sat Jan 30 20:23:28 UTC 2021
admin@RT-AX88U-0D80:/tmp/home/root# /usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jackyaz/vpnmgr/master/vpnmgr.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmgr" && chm
od 0755 /jffs/scripts/vpnmgr && /jffs/scripts/vpnmgr install
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 78688  100 78688    0     0   314k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  352k
vpnmgr: Welcome to vpnmgr v2.2.0, a script by h0me5k1n and JackYaz

vpnmgr: Checking your router meets the requirements for vpnmgr

vpnmgr: Installing required packages from Entware

Downloading http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /opt/var/opkg-lists/entware
Package jq (1.6-1) installed in root is up to date.
Installing p7zip (16.02-3) to root...
Downloading http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/p7zip_16.02-3_aarch64-3.10.ipk
Configuring p7zip.
Package column (2.36-2) installed in root is up to date.
vpnmgr: New version of vpnmgr_www.asp downloaded

vpnmgr: Mounted vpnmgr WebUI page as user8.asp

vpnmgr: Refreshing NordVPN country data...

vpnmgr: No previous NordVPN country data found, updating now

vpnmgr: Refreshing OpenVPN file archives...

ERROR: No more files
/jffs/addons/vpnmgr.d/ovpn/pia_udp_standard.zip

System ERROR:
Unknown error -2147024872
vpnmgr: Changes detected in PIA OpenVPN file archives, local copies updated

vpnmgr: Changes detected in WeVPN OpenVPN file archives, local copies updated

I posted a screenshot.

As soon as I click on PIA insdie the vpnmgr GUI the country/city dropboxes grey out. It doesn't allow for me to choose the country/city.

The N/A shows under fw information.

This is what I got when installing:

Code:
ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX88U 386.1_0 Sat Jan 30 20:23:28 UTC 2021
admin@RT-AX88U-0D80:/tmp/home/root# /usr/sbin/curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jackyaz/vpnmgr/master/vpnmgr.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/vpnmgr" && chm
od 0755 /jffs/scripts/vpnmgr && /jffs/scripts/vpnmgr install
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 78688  100 78688    0     0   314k      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  352k
vpnmgr: Welcome to vpnmgr v2.2.0, a script by h0me5k1n and JackYaz

vpnmgr: Checking your router meets the requirements for vpnmgr

vpnmgr: Installing required packages from Entware

Downloading http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/Packages.gz
Updated list of available packages in /opt/var/opkg-lists/entware
Package jq (1.6-1) installed in root is up to date.
Installing p7zip (16.02-3) to root...
Downloading http://bin.entware.net/aarch64-k3.10/p7zip_16.02-3_aarch64-3.10.ipk
Configuring p7zip.
Package column (2.36-2) installed in root is up to date.
vpnmgr: New version of vpnmgr_www.asp downloaded

vpnmgr: Mounted vpnmgr WebUI page as user8.asp

vpnmgr: Refreshing NordVPN country data...

vpnmgr: No previous NordVPN country data found, updating now

vpnmgr: Refreshing OpenVPN file archives...

ERROR: No more files
/jffs/addons/vpnmgr.d/ovpn/pia_udp_standard.zip

System ERROR:
Unknown error -2147024872
vpnmgr: Changes detected in PIA OpenVPN file archives, local copies updated

vpnmgr: Changes detected in WeVPN OpenVPN file archives, local copies updated
PIA country dropdown is linked to the error with refreshing archives, hotfix on the way.

Got a screenshot of the f/w version?

PIA country dropdown is linked to the error with refreshing archives, hotfix on the way.

Got a screenshot of the f/w version?
I ssh'd using "vpgmgr" and did a force update. The fw version now reflects 2.2.0. However, the dropbox still not working bu hotfix should fix this. It was prevously reflecting as N/A when I 1st installed vpngmgr.

Thanks for everything.

I ssh'd using "vpgmgr" and did a force update. The fw version now reflects 2.2.0. However, the dropbox still not working bu hotfix should fix this. It was prevously reflecting as N/A when I 1st installed vpngmgr.

Thanks for everything.
Hotfix is live so running a normal update will pick it up. Then ssh/use WebUI to refresh the cached data. PIA country dropdown should now populate

Hotfix is live so running a normal update will pick it up. Then ssh/use WebUI to refresh the cached data. PIA country dropdown should now populate
Yes, I ran the hotfix thru WebUI and click on cached data after. I can confirm the country/city is now populating. Thanks for the quick fix!!!!

Last edited:
Are there any VPN providers supported besides Nord and PIA?
thanks,
jts

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!