What's new

WCB3000 slow network connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

A Schnee

New Around Here
Hi,

i have a simple coax network with 2 Actiontec WCB3000 on the ends. The devices are connecting o each other nicely. The firmware reports 220 Mbps connection speed. When i start to download a file via the moca link my speed is limited to ~300 kBps (it goes up to 2 MBps, then quickly drops down to 300 kBps). If i start 10 parallel downloads on the same link i get all 10+ of them at 300kBps each. If i exclude the moca link for the download i get 3-4 MBps download speed for the same remote server.

Any idea what causes this limitation on the moca link?

The moca config on both adapter
Channel: D3
Beacon Power Reduction(dB): 3
Network Controller: Enable
MoCA Privacy: Enable

Firmware: v0.18.0.8r

Last edited:
Adding a diagram of the network and the interesting test results i got today:

1. If the connection goes through the COAX portion of the network and ends on the internet, then the speed is ~300 kBps
2. If the connection goes through the COAX portion of the network and ends on the LAN, then the speed is ~4 MBps
3. If the connection does not go through the COAX portion of the network and ends on the internet, then the speed is ~3-4 MBps

Attachments

• COAX.png
    COAX.png
    68.9 KB · Views: 330
make a copy of the modem diagnostics screen for the moca connection and up load here.

Are the numbers you quote in bits/sec or Bytes/sec ?

make a copy of the modem diagnostics screen for the moca connection and up load here.

Are the numbers you quote in bits/sec or Bytes/sec ?

Numbers are in Byte/sec

I am not sure which is the diagnostic screen. Are you referring the to the moca_status.html page? If so below is the tables from the 2 connected devices:

Connection Speed Adapter Device 1 Device 2 Device 3 Device 4 Device 5 Device 6 Device 7 Device 8 Device 9 Device 10 Device 11 Device 12 Device 13 Device 14 Device 15
MAC Address a0:a3:e2:e0:9c:ec a0:a3:e2:e1:04:54 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
IP Address N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Adapter N/A 228.99 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 1 221.24 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 2 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 3 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 4 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 5 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 6 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 7 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 8 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 9 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 10 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 11 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 12 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 13 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 14 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 15 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

And on the other device
Connection Speed Adapter Device 1 Device 2 Device 3 Device 4 Device 5 Device 6 Device 7 Device 8 Device 9 Device 10 Device 11 Device 12 Device 13 Device 14 Device 15
MAC Address a0:a3:e2:e1:04:54 a0:a3:e2:e0:9c:ec N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
IP Address N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Adapter N/A 220.92 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 1 229.96 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 2 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 3 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 4 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 5 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 6 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 7 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 8 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 9 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 10 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 11 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 12 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 13 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 14 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Device 15 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A

Do you have the wireless radios turned off on the device being used for testing ?
No the radios are on on both devices. Do you think the radios status can be relevant? If so, then why can i run 10 parallel download from the same sftp server on he internet and get 300 kBps on each download, a total of 3 MBps going through the link?

I used laptop and desktop, but in both cases the connection was directly to 1 of the ethernet ports of the WCB3000N with CAT5 cable. The test was not done over wifi

I still can't figur out what is going wrong:
i have decent speed through the moca link if the devices are on the opposite ends of the moca link, but both are on the home network
I have decent speed if the server is on the internet and the client is on the local network but on the internet gateway side (the link does not go through the moca link)
I have slow speed if the server is on the internet and the client is on the local network but the connection goes though the moca link to reach the gateway

I try to think that this is something related to how the router and the moca adapter works together? Is it possible that the moca link change some parameter for the packet, which causes performance issues on the router? Anybody had similar issues?

are you using the same physical device for each of the tests ?

Yes i used the same laptop and software for the test (windows 10 Pro + filezilla for the downloads), tested with wired Ethernet connection. Also i did not move or changed configs on the WCB3000s and the router.

For debugging the Moca connection: i can telnet into the moca adaper after enabling the telnetd with <WCB3000 ip>/telnetd_start is there any commend on the WCB3000 terminal which could show the Moca interface tarffic, singnal levels?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!