What's new

Weird downstream throughput problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Johan Viberg

New Around Here
I have a gigabit internet connection and I just bought an RT-AC68U. I've installed Merlin 384.4_2 and have a pretty basic setup. The only thing out of the ordinary is a custom ddns and an openvpn server both of which are working fine.

I have round about 15 units using Gbit, 100/10 ethernet and 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi respectively. It's a mix of raspberrypies, a desktop PC, a Synology NAS, a Ubiquiti switch, a printer, phones (both Android and iPhone), iPad, Chromecasts, internet radio, receiver, laptops (a PC and a Macbook).

As long as I'm not using my Macbook (WiFi) I get the sort of throughput I'm expecting, ie 700-950 Mbits/s up- and downstream no matter what units are connected. (I'm using the Swedish site bredbandskollen.se from my desktop PC to check the connection speed.)

But: As soon as I bring my Macbook into the mix the problem appears: The upstream speed is intact but the downstream is reduced to about 300 Mbits/s. This stays the same even after I turn the WiFi off on the Macbook. And it stays like this until I turn the WiFi on the router on and off, reboot it or let it sit for a long time. Then I have good throughput again until I reconnect the Macbook.

I've tried a very basic setup with only 2 units connected to the router - the desktop PC and the Macbook - and the result is the same, ie the downstream speed drops to about 300 Mbits/s. The Macbook is close to the router and has an excellent WiFi signal.

Nothing if interest is ever indicated in the logs (set to debug).

The only thing the I find interesting is that the speed I get is about the same as the maximum speed I get on the WiFi. Maybe just a coincidence?

Any ideas?

Attachments

• without macbook.png
    without macbook.png
    153.1 KB · Views: 428
  • with macbook.png
    with macbook.png
    153.9 KB · Views: 527
Last edited:
I solved it!

I reset the router and started setting everything from scratch again and now I get good speed (900 Mbits/s) both down- and upstream.

When I got my router I immediately installed Merlin but I don't think I did a reset after the install. Maybe that's what caused it.