What's new

What are these system log entries?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I've noticed lots of entries in my system log which I haven't seen before. Can anyone tell me what they mean and/or why they might be occurring?

Router Log (Screenshot).png

Also, why are there so many entries for the auto firmware update check?

Additional Router Log (Screenshot).png

You should include the firmware version you are using in your post to help others who may try to diagnose your issue.

The firmware is stock Asuswrt with Wi-Fi settings on Auto and DFS channels allowed.

DFS channels disabled and fixed 5GHz channel at 80MHz wide will stop the ACS messages.

The firmware is stock Asuswrt with Wi-Fi settings on Auto and DFS channels allowed.

DFS channels disabled and fixed 5GHz channel at 80MHz wide will stop the ACS messages.
I'm not using the DFS channels (some devices on my network won't connect if I do). These are my settings:
5 GHz Wi-Fi Settings.png

I think I have found something interesting about this situation. I had the 2.4 GHz band scheduled to be off from 22:00 to 06:00 and the entries in the log have only occurred during that time window. I've turned off the scheduler and will see if it happens again tonight. If I'm right, then it won't, but as to why, I have no idea.

A question arises as to why the scheduled outage...

Sounds like you found one answer on your own. Congrats.

Regarding the update, do I see it correctly as a 2:1 time ratio? Interesting. Auto update enabled if available? Is it scheduled?

This is making sure the water is safe for the baby.

A question arises as to why the scheduled outage...

Sounds like you found one answer on your own. Congrats.

Regarding the update, do I see it correctly as a 2:1 time ratio? Interesting. Auto update enabled if available? Is it scheduled?
Actually, the question is why these error message when time scheduling is enabled for the 2.4 GHz band? I can confirm that since disabling it last night, there hasn't been any more of these entries in the system log. I may test the 5 GHz band tonight to see if that also produces the similar error messages.

Auto update is scheduled to run at 05:00 every day.

Automatic Channel Scan failed because the radio was disabled.
Set a fixed channel and you will not have these errors.

Am merely curious why shut down the radios? No wrong answer, really, just wondering what's the impetus?

Am merely curious why shut down the radios? No wrong answer, really, just wondering what's the impetus?
Main reasons were 1) Having had problems with intermittent interference on the 2.4 GHz band, I thought that turning the wi-fi off at night, when not needed, would force a channel rescan in the morning, when it came back on (whether that's the case or not, I'm not sure); 2) As there's no led scheduler with the official firmware, I have put some led light-dimming tape across them and turning off the Wi-Fi reduced the light output still further (the router is right outside my bedroom, on the landing). I was advised to schedule a router reboot each morning in a previous thread, but the problem with that is my Gigaset VOIP phones system doesn't always reconnect to my VOIP service with Sipgate if the router loses connection to the internet.

You don't have an option in the admin/system tab for the WPS button to turn on/off the LED?

Screenshot 2023-10-12 124721.jpg

You don't have an option in the admin/system tab for the WPS button to turn on/off the LED?

View attachment 53599
I do, but I wanted a set and forget it option and what I have now works well because it just provides a low level of illumination for anyone getting out of bed in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, so my router has a dual function LOL. But the main reason for turning off the Wi-Fi was to (hopefully) force a rescan of the best 2.4 GHz channel to use as I didn't and still don't have any idea about how often the router does this automatically or even whether it's particularly effective (I suspect not, as I don't think it helped much last time I tried it). Just a few experiments really, to see what works best. Fortunately, most of my devices connect to the 5 GHz band and I have upgraded my Canon printer from a Pixma TS 8250 to a Pixma TS 8350a, which unlike its predecessor, does have 5 GHz capability, but is otherwise the same (so no problem with using my stock of ink cartridges with the new machine and disc printing works exactly the same way).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!