What's new

Which Netgear wireless router (R8000P or R7900P)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Phatmatt

New Around Here
I'm in the market for a new router and was eyeing the R8000P (I always like latest and greatest) but today I was going through Costco and saw the R7900P which is almost the same except AC3000 vs AC4000 and $100 cheaper.

House is 2000 sq ft (single story) with router a little off center of house.
I plan to buy a NAS (probably Synology) for photo storage (and will edit wirelessly from there) and movies.
I buy the latest Mac book pros and the rest of the family gets hand me downs.

Can a TouchBar Mac take advantage of the AC4000 speed? If not would next years model be able to add it, or is it some proprietary thing that wouldn't be added to Apple devices?

I'm open to suggestions for other routers if you think they'd suit my needs better ~$300 is my max (I think).

Thanks,
Matt

so just an understanding of the wifi used in this

its a tri band router meaning it has 1 x 2.4 gig and 2 x 5 gig transmissions

you can only use one of these transmissions at once per connected device

so the

2.4 gig has a max sync of 725M

both 5 gig transmissions have a max sync of 1625M

most new AC laptops have a max sync rate of

300M on 2.4 gig

867M on 5 gig ( note some of the new MBP can do 1300M )

so no your laptop wont be able to use the max rate the r8000p gives

this does

2.4 gig of 450M
5 gig of 1300M x 2

so the R7900P would be fine for your laptop and save you money

so just an understanding of the wifi used in this

its a tri band router meaning it has 1 x 2.4 gig and 2 x 5 gig transmissions

you can only use one of these transmissions at once per connected device

so the

2.4 gig has a max sync of 725M

both 5 gig transmissions have a max sync of 1625M

most new AC laptops have a max sync rate of

300M on 2.4 gig

867M on 5 gig ( note some of the new MBP can do 1300M )

so no your laptop wont be able to use the max rate the r8000p gives

this does

2.4 gig of 450M
5 gig of 1300M x 2

so the R7900P would be fine for your laptop and save you money

----------------------------

if it where me i wouldnt bother with a tri band router and look at dual band instead

netgear seem to be just doing tri band these days , so it depends on if you are welded onto the netgear brand or not

No need tri band unless you have 20+ Device streaming half the device then 2nd 5ghz would make sense. Try getting R7800 or r7000p both are good

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

My R8000 AC3200 is my first triband & I’m honestly liking it. As My WiFi device list grows (almost weekly) I can put things like smart plugs & security cams that only support 2.4ghz on its band. Other items like PTZ hd security cams supporting 5ghz, Alexa & some audio streaming on it’s band while reserving the 5ghz AC for hard core streaming & large uploads. I picked up a new but open box unit for $99 at target with full warranty return rights & I see similar deals on Amazon all the time.
This is my first Netgear device so I’m no fanboy but in a little over a month I’ve encountered zero issues running it on CenturyLink’s PPPoE gigabit fiber optic service & a 8 port managed switch for the Vlan 201 tagging CL requires.
I’m seeing over 900mb down and up wired and depending on the device 600 to 700mb up down on AC WiFi.
I see COSTCO is running a special around thanksgiving on the R7900 for just over $100. At that price why not take advantage of the headroom 3 wifi bands afford?