What's new

Which wireless adapter/card to get?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hermelinen

New Around Here
Hi.

Today I got 1000/100 internet and a Netgear Nighthawk X4s.

My Macbook Pro Late 2013 can archive speeds like 700Mpbs according to speedtest, while my computer in the same room with Asus USB-AC56 only gets tops 250Mbps.

Which wireless adapter/card should I get to get speeds like the Macbook Pro?

Thanks.

Asus USB-AC56

On Windows? If running Win10, remove the device, uninstall the Asus software, reboot, and once up and running, let Win10's device detection grab the driver from Microsoft. It's a better driver for Win10.

Then, go into the driver properties - the default is for that card to look for 2.4GHz first - and you can change that to prefer 5GHz.

Keep in mind that the USB-AC56 is a two-stream device, so it won't match the MacBook Pro (which is 3-stream), but it should be doing better than what you're seeing...

The other thing with the USB-AC56 - make sure it's plugged into a USB3 port, and if possible, use the little stand it comes with, as it's a USB3 extension cable.

FWIW - I have the same USB adapter, and it's generally pretty good once one understands the oddness around it as mentioned above.

If you have a desktop pc, then a wifi PCI card is the way to go. Currently the best wifi PCI card is the Asus PCE-AC88U, this is a 4 stream Mu-Mimo card which would be a good match for your Netgear X4S. With my Netgear X10 (has similar 2.4 & 5ghz guts to X4S) connected to a desktop with Asus PCE-AC88U i easily get wireless speeds of 310/30 mbps on my FTTP 330/30 connection.

With my Netgear X10 (has similar 2.4 & 5ghz guts to X4S) connected to a desktop with Asus PCE-AC88U i easily get wireless speeds of 310/30 mbps on my FTTP 330/30 connection.

Properly set up - the USB-AC56 can hit those speeds without problem - the issue is that the defaults in the Win10 supplied driver are very conservative, so they need a bit of help...

And properly set, it's a good card for Windows 10 - desktop or laptop (or small form factor PC) - to get the best performance, it needs a USB3 port and with desktop, use the supplied extender/desktop stand (and no substituting here)...

If you have a desktop pc, then a wifi PCI card is the way to go. Currently the best wifi PCI card is the Asus PCE-AC88U, this is a 4 stream Mu-Mimo card which would be a good match for your Netgear X4S. With my Netgear X10 (has similar 2.4 & 5ghz guts to X4S) connected to a desktop with Asus PCE-AC88U i easily get wireless speeds of 310/30 mbps on my FTTP 330/30 connection.
I was hoping that you were going to report some LAN<>LAN speeds with the PCE-AC88U. I'm curious as to the real world throughput with that device in a 4x4 situation.

I was hoping that you were going to report some LAN<>LAN speeds with the PCE-AC88U. I'm curious as to the real world throughput with that device in a 4x4 situation.
Sorry I can't test the PCE-AC88U in LAN to LAN throughput but internet throughput is great when paired with my 4x4 Netgear R9000 X10. Wireless downloads are at 40 MB/s (eg torrents) on my 330/30 fibre connection, pretty much the same as wired speeds. The desktop pc with the PCE-AC88U is upstairs and the X10 is downstairs, at least 15m distance albeit through wafer thin walls.