What's new

Why so few Wireless N Dual Band adapter PCI cards, only USB adapters instead?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

daiphoenix

New Around Here
There has been several Wireless N Dual Band routers/APs out in the market for quite some time now, and there are several Wireless N Dual Band USB adapters out there. But as for PCI/PCI-X card adapters, there seems to be only *one* (the Linksys WMP600N). Why is that? I find it very strange. Is it because the USB adapters are easier to install, and can be used on multiple computers? But if so, why isn't it the same case with single band (2.4 Ghz) wireless N adapters? Because for these ones there as many PCI card adapters as there are USB adapters.
Also, can the USB adapters, despite the lack of external antenna, offer the same level of performance as a card with external antennas?

easier to install. Less tech support.

Antennas for USB are less likely to be in an RF-disadvantaged situation (buried behind a desk, etc)
Some USB adapters have connector for external antenna - rarely needed.
Same chipsets. Same performance in general, for most users.

I have one of these and it works well, really small, low cost

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...o_wireless_usb_adapter-_-33-162-030-_-Product

Full up MIMO with three properly spaced antennas isn't practical in a little USB dongle. Some USB are larger and have proper antennas. But this was true too for 11g USB with two antennas for switched diversity in 11g.

Last edited:
AirLink 101 Golden N300

ScreenShots

Shot #1

Shot #2

Shot#3

Specs:
MODE: 802.11(b,g,n)
ANT: 1T/2R 2dBi
TX/RX: 150/300mBps
FREG: 2.4GHz
Drivers: 32/64-bit
UI: USB 2.0
LINK: Green Amber (power/link)
WPS: Yes (located on the other side)
Airlink101 AWLL6075 Wireless N adapter

I got about 4 to 6 of these here and only paid $9.99 with free shipping each. Use them in 802.11n got them sticking out of 4-way USB HUB either USB1 or USB2 hubs in older equipment and some netbooks that came with 802.11g. No issues. Even had one in my pocket was loaded in the washing machine then into the dryer and it still works! :D

I don't think either of the responses has addressed the original poster's questions, which is about dual band adapters. Single band 2.4ghz adapters are extremely common as internal pci/pci-e cards for pc's. Dual band cards that support the 5ghz band, however, are a different story.

I'm also curious and wondering if someone might chime in.

Not much demand for dual-band USB clients, I'd say.
The few that I see out there are not from the 5 or so main consumer vendors.

The somewhat dated Netgear WNDA3100 is $90 MSRP. Ouch.

Last edited:
I don't think either of the responses has addressed the original poster's questions, which is about dual band adapters. Single band 2.4ghz adapters are extremely common as internal pci/pci-e cards for pc's. Dual band cards that support the 5ghz band, however, are a different story.

I'm also curious and wondering if someone might chime in.

Dual band adapters are available by Trendnet and Engenius. 2.4G/5G. I don't like the 5G and not a lot of support for it. Everything is 2.4GHz or WPAN (Blue-Tooth)

No stock cards, but still options

There has been several Wireless N Dual Band routers/APs out in the market for quite some time now, and there are several Wireless N Dual Band USB adapters out there. But as for PCI/PCI-X card adapters, there seems to be only *one* (the Linksys WMP600N). Why is that? I find it very strange. Is it because the USB adapters are easier to install, and can be used on multiple computers? But if so, why isn't it the same case with single band (2.4 Ghz) wireless N adapters? Because for these ones there as many PCI card adapters as there are USB adapters.
Also, can the USB adapters, despite the lack of external antenna, offer the same level of performance as a card with external antennas?

PCI or PCI express?

There are quite a few easy to find and fairly cheap dual band pci express cards available. They are almost all in the laptop minicard form factor.

PCI is not as easy to find, but there are still many industrial/embedded cards available in the mini-PCI format. Some have interesting options like higher power radios and/or rugged designs.

Neither type are meant for typical desktops, though with some digging and a little "assembly required" they will do the same job. One main difference or advantage depending on your viewpoint is you get to bring your own antenna.

PCI or PCI x1 ? its all about Dual Radio peeps....

People,

This is why he and all others should he is looking at Dual band wireless.
2.4Ghz is too saturated a band to be efficient for long term.
5Ghz has less interference and can have overall better performance due to a low noise floor (Noise Floor).

Performance.Compared to 2.4 GHz, the 5 GHz band has much greater spectrum available, which leads to significantly better performance as compared to the 2.4 GHz band. In fact, the use of 5 GHz devices is really the only way to achieve the highest performance from 802.11n networks, mainly because of the need to provide adequate bandwidth for 802.11n's optional 40 MHz (rather than 20 MHz) channels. If the highest performance is an important requirement, then certainly lean toward the 5 GHz band.

Existing client devices. In most scenarios, client devices with 802.11b/g radios will already exist, and it won't likely be practical to replace all of those with 5 GHz radios. In fact, many client devices with embedded wireless interfaces won't even have 5 GHz versions available yet. As a result, you'll probably need to continue supporting 2.4 GHz operation, at least until it's feasible to roll the legacy client devices over to 802.11n (which would be a good time to consider 5 GHz versions).

RF Interference. 2.4 GHz wireless LANs can experience RF interference from cordless phones, microwaves, and other existing wireless LANs. The interfering signals degrade the performance of a wireless network by periodically blocking users and access points from accessing the shared air medium. If it's not possible to reduce potential interference in the 2.4 GHz band to an acceptable level, consider deploying a 5 GHz system. The noise floor in the 5 GHz band is generally lower compared to the 2.4 GHz band, which allows 802.11n to function at higher data rates.

Finish reading here

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!