What's new

Wifi AiMesh - use WAN port as additional LAN port?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pdc

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I have two AC-86U set up in an AiMesh configuration, and the actual AiMesh node has a full complement of LAN clients (upstairs computer, printer, laptop, HDHomeRun)

The problem is I want to add a fifth LAN client (Raspberry Pi).

I would love to be able to use the "extra" WAN port which is not otherwise being used (and no chance of ethernet backhaul, so it will remain unused). I tried just plugging the client in, but it does not connect.

Is there anything I can do? I am okay doing shell commands if needed. (I saw some reference to robocfg, but the AC-86U does not seem to have this, at least not on recent F/W, 3.0.0.4.384_81049)

As a fallback I have an old RT-N16 that I can set up as a bridge, but it seems a waste when that "extra" WAN port is sitting there (taunting me ;)).

Thanks for any insight...

Cant help but is there any really need to connect laptop or printer over LAN, think they both would be happy with wifi too without any traffic slowing down.

Playing whack-a-mole with what Asus is doing via AiMesh and what you need won't bring you peace. :)

Get a $5 switch instead and let the WAN port (and the underlying code surrounding AiMesh) be. ;)

Hello,

I have two AC-86U set up in an AiMesh configuration, and the actual AiMesh node has a full complement of LAN clients (upstairs computer, printer, laptop, HDHomeRun)

The problem is I want to add a fifth LAN client (Raspberry Pi).

I would love to be able to use the "extra" WAN port which is not otherwise being used (and no chance of ethernet backhaul, so it will remain unused). I tried just plugging the client in, but it does not connect.

Is there anything I can do? I am okay doing shell commands if needed. (I saw some reference to robocfg, but the AC-86U does not seem to have this, at least not on recent F/W, 3.0.0.4.384_81049)

As a fallback I have an old RT-N16 that I can set up as a bridge, but it seems a waste when that "extra" WAN port is sitting there (taunting me ;)).

Thanks for any insight...

Maybe you can disable the RT-N16 router and AP functions and just use its LAN ports as a 4-port switch. Or just buy a Gigabit switch... they're pretty inexpensive. I have two ASUS 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet switches GX-D1081 v3 (EOL?) on my router... one for the home office and one for the media center... they have been trouble-free. I recommend wiring whatever you can... at least until your WiFi speed and stability exceeds that of your Ethernet.

OE

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the perspective, I will go look into the "cheap switch" option. My N16 is running Tomato, so I might have options to turn off wifi and whatnot. I will check that out as well.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!