What's new

Wifi indoor 300 square meters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

strimma

New Around Here
Hi everybody, i'll try not to be too boring..

I got a goal:

Provide wifi coverage in a building composed of one big room (300 m2), with no significant obstacles in it, except from a reinforced concrete column in the center, and some metal stuffs on the ceiling that provide projections.

Wifi's goal is basic browsing\emailing\youtubing, for let's say 30 people, whose mobile devices are heterogeneous: b/g/n.

I relized some tests and this is what i turned out:

1 router/wireless dir-300 in one angle of the room
+
1 dir-300 modded with dd-wrt as AP repeater bridge in the opposite angle
=
decent browsing for 75% of the room.

Now, i just want to buy NOT entry-level hardware [but maybe still SOHO] in order to optimize the throughput and the coverage, considering that:

- I don't care N "standard"
- I don't care gigabit ports
- I like external RPA-SMA connectors [almost only dlink provides them ?]

I read wireless charts\wireless what-to-buy\ and some others article on smallnetubuilders.com, they helped me a lot, but still i'm not ready to click the buy button.

What i'm thinking to buy is dir-655 or 825 + Ap (repeater) dap-something.

What do you think?

thx! :rolleyes:

Have TV coax? Consider MoCa. I replaced flakey WiFi bridges and repeaters with this. D-Link and Netgear make MoCa, among others.

Note that 11g will drop throughput through one repeater "hop" to ~ 5 Mbps.

A simple solution (if you can) is to move the Internet connected router/AP to the center of the room.

If you can't, just add two more Repeaters in the other two corners of the room and you'll probably be fine. This will also balance the load among APs better.

Note that 11g will drop throughput through one repeater "hop" to ~ 5 Mbps.

Do you mean:

total = 54Mbps
first hop = ( 54Mbps - 5Mbps )
second hop = (first hope) - 5Mbps
...and so on
[so i should DO NOT repeat the repeated]

or

total = 54Mbps
first hop = 5Mbps ?
(second hop? zero? :) )

A simple solution (if you can) is to move the Internet connected router/AP to the center of the room.

Unfortunately i cannot do it. But in the opposite angle, where i actually have the repeater (now connected only to AC) i have connection; can this help me avoiding repeaters?

If you can't, just add two more Repeaters in the other two corners of the room and you'll probably be fine. This will also balance the load among APs better.

I understand. Just a question: with this option is the mobile device going to roam through the APs "transparently"? Or is it going to connect every time to the best signal it finds?

A repeater uses a single radio to receive, then retransmit the signal to a wireless client. This means every repeater that is between the first AP and wireless client will reduce throughput by about 50%.

802.11g has best case real throughput of ~20 Mbps. So if the first repeater were very close to the root AP, the wireless client associated with the repeater would get at best ~ 10 Mbps.

In practice, a repeater isn't right next to the root AP. So the throughput of the signal at the repeater will be much lower. With practical distances, you can expect repeated throughput in the single digit Mbps range.

See Everything You Need To Know About Wireless Bridging and Repeating - Part 1: WDS
and Everything You Need To Know About Wireless Bridging and Repeating - Part 2: No WDS Required

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!