What's new

Wifi repeater acting as local DNS server?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bishnubee

New Around Here
Hi,

I have a TP-Link C1900 which is my gateway.
I also have a Asus RT-AC68 running Asuswrt-Merlin which is a wifi repeater.

I would like to know if you could make the RT-AC68 to be the DHCP and DNS server for the entire local network?

With the C1900 acting as the DHCP/DNS server I cannot access my local machines by their host names (I have to use their IP addresses) and I don't like its limited DHCP options. Just for info, the RT-AC68 seems to have faulty wifi (weak signal and connection constantly dropping), that's why I had to buy a new main wifi router.

Thanks

Any input on this?

The TP-Link C1900 does not seem to have a DNS server for local queries.

In addition to querying my local machines by their hostnames, I would like to also query them with FQDN as some machines are internet accessible and would like to use same url even when in local network.

I used to be able to do that with Asuswrt-Merlin when my Asus RT-AC68 was acting as my main gateway.

I read I could install a DNS server on a RasberryPi and use it for my local network, but if the RT-AC68 could be used (as DNS server only? no DHCP) even if it now is a wifi repeater I would like to know.

Thanks.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!