What's new

Wireless JBOD box help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lloyd709

New Around Here
I know very little about wireless networking (but want to learn) and hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

To start on my home (which is work as well) networking ambitions I want to go one step at a time and have set myself the following challenge:

I currently have all my main disks in a JBOD box but generally like to work from different parts of the house on my laptop (macbook pro). Is there a wireless thing (router or such like) I can buy that I can plug my JBOD box into (via USB3) that will enable me to view and use these disks wirelessly (hoping I can set it up so they can pop up in the side panel of my finder). I don't need/want (at this stage) access to these disks via the internet (in fact it it quite important that they don't interfere with my current broadband).

Any advice would be great.

Also, any recommendations on basic book that will help me in my journey to understand networking in the home?

Thanks in advance

NASes are usually designed to handle single USB drives for sharing. You'd have to try it.

NASes are usually designed to handle single USB drives for sharing. You'd have to try it.
Sorry, what do I need to try? I don't have a NAS - is this what you are suggesting I buy?

I have a JBOD rack which I would like keep. I just want to buy something that will allow me to set it up so I can access the disks wirelessly - the question is what. Seems a simple requirement but can't find anything online on it - perhaps it's not possible!

1) Move your JBOD box to where your router is. Change your router to one with a USB3 port that supports storage sharing. Most routers now do.

2) Assuming your JBOD box is currently attached to a PC. Add a Wi-Fi adapter to the PC, join the Wi-Fi network. Turn on File and Printer sharing. Browse to the drive/folder and share.

Thanks

I plugged my JBOD box into my TalkTalk HG635 Super Router (that came free with my Internet installation) but could only see one of the drives in the JBOD which is a shame.

Also, the router supposedly supports 802.11ac but even though my laptop was right next to it when testing the best data transfer rate I got was about 5MB/s which is not what I had in mind! Looking up the 802.11ac specs on modern routers I thought I would be able to get at least 80MB/s.

So do you think a more sophisticated router would help? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks

Your laptop also must support 802.11ac to get higher throughput.

Check this Chart for Sharing throughput test results. Be sure to change the Test Method filter selector to see other products.